• Pedro's BMW R1200GSA
    • Sirfallsalot's Honda NX650 Dominator
    • Skippy's white Royal Enfield Himalayan
    • Tym's Kawasaki KLR 650
    • XTreme's BMW G650GS

This poll is closed to new votes

22 minutes ago, Lone Amigo said:

@XTreme @Pedro

I voted for the picture of the Dominator dominating the snow!!!
I did not vote for a Dominator sitting on a nice dry easy patch of green grass next to a dry road overlooking a bucolic lake.

Nor would I have.

The scenery, the setting, the stance of the bike are all part of it ---
but so is the adventure that was entailed in getting the bike to where it is pictured. The photo I voted for in order to see it in the header has been totally disappeared. The Bait & Switch world is bad enough in every day life without seeing it reign here as well.

Fred needs to provide that pic in the necessary size and from a distance in order to be able to fit in the header. It has to be cropped to about 1920 x 220 to be useable.

And of course it's not Pic of the Month.......it's Bike of the Month!

5 minutes ago, Lone Amigo said:

Yes, it is BOTM,

but it is also the bike in the header.

Instead of a great photo which was posted
I get to see nothing for the next month because the bike is so small and far away that it is completely covered up by the letters that spell Adventure Motorcycles. Seems to me that if the size of a given photo cannot be used, then that photo should never be posted up as a bike to vote for.

But what do I know? I'm old and cranky and take things at face value. And I am short-tempered because the girlfriend of 60 years is as flighty and demanding as ever.

And my bikes are in the garage...

This is the last one with the bike going into the header now because of this type of situation.

From next month on they'll be going into the sidebar so the normal image proportions (as posted in the thread) can be used.

31 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I would keep it the same, some pictures work better than others, so if you don't like it just wait a month with no bitching and it'll change then.

The thing is, that's the first thing people see if they've never been here before. And there's no way any of us can come up with a header image in real high quality to give that sort of WOW factor.

It's not just the quality of the pic though......you need the sort of creative mind to get all the things in place to make it stand out. It also has to be from a distance to suit the header......because you can't have a header that fills the whole screen to the point you can't see the forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BusBoy said:

They dont appreciate you Mucho. No respect for your skillz. You need a new henchman to ride shotgun. Tym is sleeping on the job.

The thing is, I have no control over the images that are submitted to me Bruce.

If people can give me hi-res widescreen perspectives.....shot at a distance......then we're good to go!

But as it is, for an intro to the site (think of it as the shop window).......we need something done professionally to really give it an edge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mawsley said:

The original image is big enough - do you need something done to it?

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 15.51.48.png

Yes......get it down to 200px height while still maintaining a 1920px perspective with the width.

• Like 1

Perhaps in future all photos for BOTM need to be 1920 x 220 or something that can be cropped to that. That's about 8.7:1. Wide angle shots preferred. Is that about right size wise @XTreme?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Specs said:

Perhaps in future all photos for BOTM need to be 1920 x 220 or something that can be cropped to that. That's about 8.7:1. Wide angle shots preferred. Is that about right size wise @XTreme?

These lot can barely focus a camera Alan.......they'll never get their head round that.

• Haha 1

I just looked at an old photo in Lightroom setting the crop for 1920 x 200 and this is what I got. It's the bit in the middle. Not great is it?

Maybe I should have done it as pixels rather than dimensions. 

256688154_Screenshot2021-01-04at17_35_49.thumb.png.a719cbc7c6a202c335f638a3712317dd.png

7 minutes ago, Specs said:

I just looked at an old photo in Lightroom setting the crop for 1920 x 200 and this is what I got. It's the bit in the middle. Not great is it?

Maybe I should have done it as pixels rather than dimensions. 

256688154_Screenshot2021-01-04at17_35_49.thumb.png.a719cbc7c6a202c335f638a3712317dd.png

Now you see the problem Alan.

As I said earlier......at the end of the month I'll replace the header with a graphic and organise a different location for the BOTM pic!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

The thing is, that's the first thing people see if they've never been here before. And there's no way any of us can come up with a header image in real high quality to give that sort of WOW factor.

It's not just the quality of the pic though......you need the sort of creative mind to get all the things in place to make it stand out. It also has to be from a distance to suit the header......because you can't have a header that fills the whole screen to the point you can't see the forum.

I feel your pain.....all a bunch of casuals ?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Were you spanked as a child?

No.....but I heard that he paid some cheap hooker in Johannesburg for that service! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

So, in order to meet a spanner's-own industry standard of 200px by 1920px, you have to take a picture of your bike from 2km away with a view to cropping out almost everything in the photo.

Can't wait for next month's competition. It'll be as exciting as watching Masked Celebrity Baking on Ice.

We're having a rethink on positioning Dave.....all will be revealed soon! 

Trust me......I know what I'm doing! :classic_unsure:

Tell him @Tym

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

We're having a rethink on positioning Dave.....all will be revealed soon! 

Trust me......I know what I'm doing! :classic_unsure:

Tell him @Tym

Pete tells me he knows what he's doing!:littleguy:

• Haha 1