Your Day Today!

XTreme

I've had what i thought was a flat spot off idle for some time now on the XR, tried re-jetting but made no difference and it's put me off riding the bike as its a bit jerky to ride on the slow stuff could never remember it having this issue in the past. The flat spot seemed worse when going down hill with a closed throttle and it suddenly dawned on me what the problem might be, so Yesterday i decided to take a look at the carb, i have a spare carb for the bike off an earlier model so dug that out to compare and after inspecting that carb my thoughts on the issue seemed to make sense, so last night i fitted the spare carb and took it for a test ride, sure enough the problem has gone, so you want to know what i think it was well the original carb has an unknown mileage on it and the throttle slide or carb body is worn so when closing the throttle the vacuum created by the engine was pulling on the throttle slide which was making it stick closed so you had to twist the grip harder to break it free making it feel like a flat spot lovely and smooth again now just like i remember, Had to do some fine tuning with the jetting tonight the older carb runs larger jets than the carb off my bike and it feels a bit more responsive. Another test ride tomorrow night as its pissing down tonight.

• Like 6

I can’t think of what would have happened if Bob had had a nice 1200 GS, he would have taken it to the moon!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

test ride tomorrow night as its pissing down tonight.

Pissing down sounds pretty good right now as it's been in the 90'sF here the past few days....supposed to hit 102F tomorrow.🥵

While repairing some garden tools today..... Chink P.O.S.!! 🤬

IMG_0114.thumb.jpg.142706cfad979dd05420a799985e548f.jpg

Looks like it'll be down to La Grande tomorrow early to beat the heat....to see if I can locate a replacement.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, YamaHead said:

Pissing down sounds pretty good right now as it's been in the 90'sF here the past few days....supposed to hit 102F tomorrow.🥵

While repairing some garden tools today..... Chink P.O.S.!! 🤬

IMG_0114.thumb.jpg.142706cfad979dd05420a799985e548f.jpg

Looks like it'll be down to La Grande tomorrow early to beat the heat....to see if I can locate a replacement.

We had one do that at work. Bloody boss would locate an old record for us so it didn't take us long to kill it.:classic_laugh:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Six30 said:

big old lump for off roading, a young mans game .... a distant memory @boboneleg

I can't believe how I used to throw that thing around in all sorts of shit, a very capable bike for such a beast.  Nowadays the 250 suits me better :classic_laugh:

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I've had what i thought was a flat spot off idle for some time now on the XR, tried re-jetting but made no difference and it's put me off riding the bike as its a bit jerky to ride on the slow stuff could never remember it having this issue in the past. The flat spot seemed worse when going down hill with a closed throttle and it suddenly dawned on me what the problem might be, so Yesterday i decided to take a look at the carb, i have a spare carb for the bike off an earlier model so dug that out to compare and after inspecting that carb my thoughts on the issue seemed to make sense, so last night i fitted the spare carb and took it for a test ride, sure enough the problem has gone, so you want to know what i think it was well the original carb has an unknown mileage on it and the throttle slide or carb body is worn so when closing the throttle the vacuum created by the engine was pulling on the throttle slide which was making it stick closed so you had to twist the grip harder to break it free making it feel like a flat spot lovely and smooth again now just like i remember, Had to do some fine tuning with the jetting tonight the older carb runs larger jets than the carb off my bike and it feels a bit more responsive. Another test ride tomorrow night as its pissing down tonight.

Good analysis Fred. Worn slides can cause all sorts of silly problems.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

I can’t think of what would have happened if Bob had had a nice 1200 GS, he would have taken it to the moon!

No I think so...probably would have torn off one of those side sticking cylinders ...lol.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

No I think so...probably would have torn off one of those side sticking cylinders ...lol.

monday night raw whatever GIF by WWE

• Haha 4

Utah trip is in 9 days and my co-rider on the trip just cancelled. Hate when that happens.

Guess I'm going by myself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Earache said:

Utah trip is in 9 days and my co-rider on the trip just cancelled. Hate when that happens.

Guess I'm going by myself.

@Marcel le Moose Fondler will go with you, you can even share a room and bed.

• Haha 5

Bimble to Newquay today, course couldn’t go on my own.   My Shadow had to come and demanded Maccies, I don’t mind their coffee so worked as a bladder break for me.  

IMG_1647.thumb.jpeg.97006311eb00bcde9884b6f5baffffcf.jpeg
IMG_2804.thumb.jpeg.96c74be39d40272e6498685613682d72.jpeg

We had a mooch down to Fistral then up to look over Pentire.   

IMG_2805.thumb.jpeg.2b5fe6107cba57a66ef88fc3bffe0a0e.jpegIMG_2808.thumb.jpeg.4370f5551e25c39a07708cff05cae9b9.jpegIMG_2809.thumb.jpeg.aab95c62094d82037fcebb1b520b1f2f.jpeg

She continued to walk into every shot then collapsed because I moaned at her 

IMG_2812.thumb.jpeg.f722fe5973513922c21903226e769d20.jpegIMG_2806.thumb.jpeg.7069f824a2d90e4071d6e57d458fc97f.jpegIMG_2811.thumb.jpeg.20009de8063df30593da2f797b2f6d7e.jpeg

Grumpy 

IMG_2815.thumb.jpeg.6c20ccf374fc6fba0a0253115ab89fef.jpeg

Happy Again once we made it home. 

IMG_2817.thumb.jpeg.7c19021fdb12b3e213faef478767bde6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Buckster said:

At least you are looking more human now.

IMG_1229.thumb.jpeg.ab6633ad6a7a40a19e5e3cc485b9355d.jpeg

Twat 😜

• Haha 3

On 02/07/2024 at 14:24, Saul said:

To be fair when the revs are up it's off like a stabbed rat.  I suppose I'm always comparing it to my Hornet which takes off much lower in the rev range so feels much faster. 

About the Hornet, how many rpm is it doing in 6th gear at 75mph? 
The CB500F is at 6k at that speed...

47 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Those West Country lot are weirdos.

Image.jpeg.08f32623b88747b89f560581408ebc9e.jpeg

Still a twat Gandalf 🤣

7 minutes ago, Saul said:

Still a twat Gandalf 🤣

Your Shadow will think it is cool.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustaPor said:

About the Hornet, how many rpm is it doing in 6th gear at 75mph? 
The CB500F is at 6k at that speed...

Around 5,500  @ 75 mph  for the CBF600, not really sure for the Hornet, I will look the next time I ride it.  The real difference between the bikes is when the power comes in strong, from 4k on the Hornet from 6k on the CBF.    The CBF will go well when the revs are up but the Hornets power is a lot more usable.  Always one gear away from tearing it up on the Hornet often two on the CBF.    I have new mirrors to put on the Hornet which I will do tomorrow I will get back to you then.  😉

• Like 2