Which one do you want

Saul

18 minutes ago, Saul said:

I remember the DT250 being a bit big and cumbersome compared to the DT175.  If remember correctly the DT125 and DT175 were the same bike except for engine displacement as were the DT250 and DT400.  There were lots of them around here in the past.  I had a DT175MX and remember it being nowhere near as tough as the ER185.  DT was alot cooler looking but eh ER was a a tank.  

You are right about the 250 and 400 sharing the same chassis and the 125 and 175.  From what I remember the DT175 MX was much better off road than the TS185 but the Suzuki was the better road bike.

I rode a long distance trial in 1982 on my brand new TS250ER , I was still running it in at the time.  My mate was gutted as I beat him on his DT175MX, he lost nearly twice as many points as me :classic_laugh:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Saul said:

quite fancy a CRF300, but doubt I would use that  much, yes I would have a play but just haven't got the time to make the best of something like that.  

I've had this conversation with myself about 100 times in the last six months , do I replace my CRF250 Rally with the 300 version, in the end i've decided to keep the 250 . 

There are two main reasons for this ; the first is build quality.  I have two mates who have bought 300's and they've both been disapointed with the quality, whereas my 250 is 5 years old now and has been ridden in all sorts of shit and muck and is looking better than their 6-9 month old bikes.

The second reason is that hardly any of the parts are interchangable between bikes which means I'd have to spend a lot to make a 300 trail worthy as I couldn't just use parts off the 250.

The 250 is by no means the fastest bike in the world but it puts the power down where you need it on a trail so I can live with the slower progress on the road.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

Did all those go off on one trail ride Fred ?

Yes there's loads out every weekend, usually groups of 8 to 10, the south wales TRF group is getting towards 600 members now so its busy 4 rides advertised this weekend and a few through the week. Not all are south wales based or active but there's probably 30 to 40 regular riders local to me

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes there's loads out every weekend, usually groups of 8 to 10, the south wales TRF group is getting towards 600 members now so its busy 4 rides advertised this weekend and a few through the week. Not all are south wales based or active but there's probably 30 to 40 regular riders local to me

Fair play but that's four too many for my liking.  A group of 6 is my limit , probably why I don't do TRF anymore .

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Fair play but that's four too many for my liking.  A group of 6 is my limit , probably why I don't do TRF anymore .

Whoever puts the rides on sets the numbers Bob if i'm putting a ride on its usually a maximum of six including myself but it depends where the ride is if its local i don't mind more

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Whoever puts the rides on sets the numbers Bob if i'm putting a ride on its usually a maximum of six including myself but it depends where the ride is if its local i don't mind more

Anyway, what bike did you ride and how did you get on ?

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I weren't there Bob been getting high on varnish stripper all day was in no fit state to ride :classic_laugh:

I've dabbled with the Nitromors, jesus that's strong stuff.  Took me three days to strip the paint off a petrol tank :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I've had this conversation with myself about 100 times in the last six months , do I replace my CRF250 Rally with the 300 version, in the end i've decided to keep the 250 . 

There are two main reasons for this ; the first is build quality.  I have two mates who have bought 300's and they've both been disapointed with the quality, whereas my 250 is 5 years old now and has been ridden in all sorts of shit and muck and is looking better than their 6-9 month old bikes.

The second reason is that hardly any of the parts are interchangable between bikes which means I'd have to spend a lot to make a 300 trail worthy as I couldn't just use parts off the 250.

The 250 is by no means the fastest bike in the world but it puts the power down where you need it on a trail so I can live with the slower progress on the road.

That’s interesting Bob, reset my sights to not buying a CRF250 then 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

The 300 isn’t either, wouldn’t it take you 5 minutes to get used to the extra 0,02hp and think it’s basically the same bike?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Back in 73 I paid £375 for a new Suzuki GT380J, in 75 I paid £710 for a new Kwak H1F 500, and in 76 £1049 for a new Honda CB750F1.

those were the days Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Back in 73 I paid £375 for a new Suzuki GT380J, in 75 I paid £710 for a new Kwak H1F 500, and in 76 £1049 for a new Honda CB750F1.

I paid £300 for a CB750F1 in bits in the late 80's it came with a new genuine Honda seat still in the wrapper which would have cost the best part of £300 on it's own then, i sold it for £500 a few years later but should have asked more my mate sold it for me and said people were still asking him if it was for sale months after it had sold

• Like 2