Itchy Boots Engine Strip!

XTreme

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

There are lots of solo female travellers and so far as I know only one of them ended up in a ditch quite close to being carrion.

They robbed her, raped her and beat the shit out of her, then left her for dead but somehow she survived.

Edit: she freely admits pitching her tent (on her tod) where she pitched it wasn't wise but the locals had told her it was a safe area and she'd be fine there. 

When you say lots, do you mean 10, 50, 100’s?

35 minutes ago, Buckster said:

When you say lots, do you mean 10, 50, 100’s?

Hmm dunno never counted. 

Personally I know of a lot more solo women riders than I do men but I would wouldn't I 🤷‍♀️

Women ADV riders does a lot of articles and writing for solo women riders and that site does well for itself. 

Of the 24 women I went to the Himalayas with at least half are solo riders. 

I like riding solo too, I recently rode to the Pyrenees on my tod and enjoyed it a lot. 

But if I was in Bolivia like that other woman who was nearly beaten to death I would rather do it with someone else. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hmm dunno never counted. 

Personally I know of a lot more solo women riders than I do men but I would wouldn't I 🤷‍♀️

Women ADV riders does a lot of articles and writing for solo women riders and that site does well for itself. 

Of the 24 women I went to the Himalayas at least half are solo riders. 

I like riding solo too, I recently rode to the Pyrenees on my tod and enjoyed it a lot. 

But if I was in Bolivia like that other woman who was nearly beaten to death I would rather do it with someone else. 

Common sense has to prevail.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hmm dunno never counted. 

Of the 24 women I went to the Himalayas with at least half are solo riders. 

I was in Bolivia a few years ago, well off the beaten track - im not sure I would feel safe on my tod there, really sketchy in some places and I'm Bucksters size. Fantastic place though. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nute said:

I was in Bolivia a few years ago, well off the beaten track - im not sure I would feel safe on my tod there, really sketchy in some places and I'm Bucksters size. Fantastic place though. 

Men are far more likely to be on the receiving end of unprovoked violence than women so I reckon you're right to consider it sketchy. 

She'd been through Mexico, Peru and Columbia among others places with no problems, she came unstuck because she took duff advice from the locals who probably thought they were telling her the truth. 

Were you riding there?

I’ve been to some of the most dangerous places in the world and never had issues, but I always go native.

Just now, Buckster said:

I’ve been to some of the most dangerous places in the world and never had issues, but I always go native.

You're also one scary looking fucker so it's not really surprising you've had no bother. 

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You're also one scary looking fucker so it's not really surprising you've had no bother. 

I’m also extremely well trained in delivering violence to those who “demand” it which is why I was in a lot of those places to start with but that was a different time and a different life.

5 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I’m also extremely well trained in delivering violence to those who “demand” it which is why I was in a lot of those places to start with but that was a different time and a different life.

I'm not surprised. 

I always assumed you were at some point part of one of the more violent military services or just raised with a violent crowd so became useful to hire, you have an unusual extremeness 🤷‍♀️

26 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Men are far more likely to be on the receiving end of unprovoked violence than women so I reckon you're right to consider it sketchy. 

She'd been through Mexico, Peru and Columbia among others places with no problems, she came unstuck because she took duff advice from the locals who probably thought they were telling her the truth. 

Were you riding there?

We flew into Uyuni, then went south down to the border with Chile. It would have been fun to ride it but a) we’d probably have gotten lost or broken down and ended up dead, b) it was 5000m+ altitude and any sort of physical exertion is difficult when you are from sea level. 

We were warned about parts of LaPaz, and Uyuni in particular was sketchy, the villages south of there less so but I hired a guide with a Land Cruiser (even he got lost twice). He had enough spare parts in the back of it to cover most breakdowns, and 30 gallons of fuel on the roof as there aren’t any gas stations and a huge cylinder of O2 in case we needed it. 

In terms of risk from the locals parts of the US are worse. My wife used to live near Camden in NJ, not the sort of place you want to wander about at night, even if you are Buckster…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nute said:

We flew into Uyuni, then went south down to the border with Chile. It would have been fun to ride it but a) we’d probably have gotten lost or broken down and ended up dead, b) it was 5000m+ altitude and any sort of physical exertion is difficult when you are from sea level. 

We were warned about parts of LaPaz, and Uyuni in particular was sketchy, the villages south of there less so but I hired a guide with a Land Cruiser (even he got lost twice). He had enough spare parts in the back of it to cover most breakdowns, and 30 gallons of fuel on the roof as there aren’t any gas stations and a huge cylinder of O2 in case we needed it. 

In terms of risk from the locals parts of the US are worse. My wife used to live near Camden in NJ, not the sort of place you want to wander about at night, even if you are Buckster…

Sounds like an interesting time. 

Yer when I looked at the chances of being shot or murdered country by country the US is right up there!

Started to put together a trip to America, probably not til next September now due to family crap but I did think I'd better make sure I know where not to go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Sounds like an interesting time. 

Yer when I looked at the chances of being shot or murdered country by country the US is right up there!

Started to put together a trip to America, probably not til next September now due to family crap but I did think I'd better make sure I know where not to go!

Reminds of a time me and a friend, who is also extremely useful in a street fight, accidentally drove into Compton, normally if I go the wrong way I like to find my way through, on this occasion we turned round a left the way we came. You have to pick your battles.

• Like 2