Remembering Pete

Pedro

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

A few weeks ago he asked what I was doing at the weekend and I think he was hinting about meeting up. I couldn’t make it but sitting here now I regret not trying harder to take the time to go over and see him. I feel guilty and it makes me very sad. It feels like I let him down. If he’s watching me type this he’ll be thinking what a soft southern shite I am because it’s just brought a tear to my eye.

Same here. I had planned on going over for a ride in 2022 after Morocco, but coming back I didn't feel like delaying my return another 2 or 3 days. Then last year when I was heading his way I just didn't feel like it. We had agreed that 2024 wasn't to pass without a visit, makes me feel like shit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

44 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I’m not even sure how I ended up on a forum run by Pete, I suspect it was from Advrider, that and bad luck. We spoke on the phone quite a lot, he asked for advice when he was setting up the business in Spain and we stayed in touch but never got around to meeting, the reality is that we interacted frequently, often daily for over 20 years, I still cannot believe he is gone. 

I have to say that I don’t think this place can survive without Pete driving it, if we all want to stay in touch then I’m inclined to start a private Facebook group, the cost of running the forum would probably become a problem ultimately, Pete put it on his existing servers so that swallowed some of the cost, as a stand alone it would cost something like £500 a year to operate and without Pete I think we will all drift away from it because he was the glue that held it together. 

Between 3 or 4, and considering this is a big part of people's social life, I think the cost isn't the factor.  You're very right, though.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Between 3 or 4, and considering this is a big part of people's social life, I think the cost isn't the factor.  You're very right, though.

it wont be the same without pete on here.. but i think we should try and keep it going if we can .

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Saul said:

Don't be daft get it sorted.    What happened to Pete is just what happens in life and death, doesn't make it any more likely something is going to go wrong for you or that it even did for him.   Could have just been his time. 

We are all going to die at some point you can't live in fear of it just do your best to get by.   And for fuck sake listen to the medics, many have died from not doing that.  

you'll be fine @Marcel le Moose Fondler just leave it.

• Haha 3

I  met Pete in 2003 when he took over the reigns of YOC....made it run a helluva lot better! Once he found a pic of me w/ my mullet, it was on!....I was hence forth known as the "RedNeck"...lol I think I was on about a half dozen different bike sites that he had his hand in. For years he gave me sh*t for looking like a redneck & accusing me of living in a trailer park....then in '06 I got a drafting job a 150+ miles away from where I was living....& low & behold I ended up in an RV park living in a trailer!...lol He was beside himself w/ laughter. After that summer of '06, I moved back home to Milwaukie (suburb south of Portland) & proceeded to carry on with a new-found perspective on life. I will NEVER forget the 1 time I got a phone call from him & hear his profound welsh accent...it meant alot @ the time. I then came to find out that my ancestors came from Wales to north America back in the 1600's. Through him & his bike forum savy, I've meet a lot of like minded friends from all over the world....all with 1 thing in common....2 Wheels!  His "Matter Of Fact" 'tude will be sorely missed...& I truly hope he's Riding In Peace somewhere up in the heavenly's.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

That's exactly how I see it as well, he was the glue and everything else that kept it going .

Don't want to sound negative...but it's the way I see it also...it took lots of time and effort from his part to keep this place going...time that many of us just don't have...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Saul said:

Don't be daft get it sorted.    What happened to Pete is just what happens in life and death, doesn't make it any more likely something is going to go wrong for you or that it even did for him.   Could have just been his time. 

We are all going to die at some point you can't live in fear of it just do your best to get by.   And for fuck sake listen to the medics, many have died from not doing that.  

With what happened to Pete ..tell you the truth..I'm kinda scared...I'm gonna start by getting my potato check out first...it's not bothering me at the moment so I'll do it in steps...

• Like 3

Standard preop assessment wouldn't show narrowing of the arteries or the plaques that ultimately cause heart attacks.

An ECG would show if there had been a previous undiagnosed heart attack but as it just measures the electrical output of your heart to create a type of picture of how the heart is beating it's not a tool that can predict what will happen in the future. 

Echocardiography (the heart ultrasound) isn't usually done as a routine check prior to surgery in someone with no known history of heart disease, only if there's an indication or suspicion of heart disease.

Stents are an excellent option to avoid bypass grafts but sadly they don't come without risk 😔 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

With what happened to Pete ..tell you the truth..I'm kinda scared...I'm gonna start by getting my potato check out first...it's not bothering me at the moment so I'll do it in steps...

What happened to Pete isn't related to having a hernia op. 

His arteries were narrowed. 

Imagine an old hose pipe that's clogged so the water can't get through the pipe properly. 

And you have a little round cage folded that you can put in the hose and open it up to allow the water to flow freely again. 

It can't make the hose pipe that's clogged or narrowed or prone to cracking new again so there's a risk in doing it. 

If you're concerned about your heart health then let that be known and have it thoroughly checked out prior to general anaesthetic. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Standard preop assessment wouldn't show narrowing of the arteries or the plaques that ultimately cause heart attacks.

An ECG would show if there had been a previous undiagnosed heart attack but as it just measures the electrical output of your heart to create a type of picture of how the heart is beating it's not a tool that can predict what will happen in the future. 

An echocardiogram (the heart ultrasound) isn't usually done as a routine check prior to surgery in someone with no known history of heart disease, only if there's an indication or suspicion of heart disease.

Stents are an excellent option to avoid bypass grafts but sadly they don't come without risk 😔 

I spoke to the Nurse Practitioner I worked with on Sunday night and told what little I knew, she said very much the same.  She did say if there was no history of Heart disease they would not necessarily look for it and the normal test wouldn't show much of a clue.    But obviously that was just my limited understanding.  I didn't mention it before as I didn't really know what I would have been talking about.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Imagine an old hose pipe that's clogged so the water can't get through the pipe properly. 

And you have a little round cage folded that you can put in the hose and open it up to allow the water to flow freely again. 

It can't make the hose pipe that's clogged or narrowed or prone to cracking new again so there's a risk in doing it. 

If you're concerned about your heart health then let that be known and have it thoroughly checked out prior to general anaesthetic. 

I will give @Marcel le Moose Fondler a general anaesthetic.

hammer GIF

• Haha 6

30 minutes ago, Saul said:

You just want to kill him off you evil fucker 🤣  Mind you I like the way you are thinking.  🤣

Girl Smile GIF

• Haha 5

I came across DSUK almost as it was morphing into maximum bikes I think,back in 2005, having made my life in France I was looking for an English speaking bike forum and had signed up to about 8 I think with the intention of seeing what I liked or not.  Max bikes felt so much more like what I was used to in a local bike club, I stayed. Over the years I have been more or less active according to personal circumstances and available time. People on here have offered support through some difficult times, and definately some huge laughs and fascinating conversations amongst the inane banter that is the backdrop to it all. 

Much as it pains me to admit it. Pete has been the motor in the machine, and though others have had a hand in steering, or oiling the wheels, or applying the brakes, or filling the tank, when the motor is no longer in the frame the rest will struggle to keep the machine alive, no matter how good they are.  

Thanks for the ride Pete.  ( you spicky ginger welsh twat) 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Saul said:

You just want to kill him off you evil fucker 🤣  Mind you I like the way you are thinking.  🤣

You mentioned you had stems put in Saul...you seem young for that...is it family related..

22 hours ago, Six30 said:

good stuff..  lifes for living and doing stuff , enjoy it  👍

what does  cantankerous mean ?

NANGY

7 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

You mentioned you had stems put in Saul...you seem young for that...is it family related..

Yes mate my Dad died  of a heart attack at 57 and I had a minor one at 56,  I had 3 stents after  that.   The difference between us is I listened to the medics and he wouldn’t.   It’s why I keep saying what I do, ignoring symptoms and medical advice killed my dad.   Tough guy in life but some things need a different approach.   

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Saul said:

yeah when your time is up you go

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Saul said:

Yes mate my Dad died  of a heart attack at 57 and I had a minor one at 56,  I had 3 stents after  that.   The difference between us is I listened to the medics and he wouldn’t.   It’s why I keep saying what I do, ignoring symptoms and medical advice killed my dad.   Tough guy in life but some things need a different approach.   

For some reason Saul...though you were way younger..from the pic you posted in your new lid at one time...so were about the same age then...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I just find it odd Pete never noticed  sigh...and said he never felt any pain...I think maybe he probably did but blamed it on his age most likely..

Wouldn't surprise me at all he had minor heart attacks and never noticed it before hand.

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

it's like a clogged washing machine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skyrider said:

it's like a clogged washing machine

Calgon instead of stents @skyrider?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

For some reason Saul...though you were way younger..from the pic you posted in your new lid at one time...so were about the same age then...

We are.  👍

• Like 1