Arai XD-5 Review

Arai’s all-new XD-5 is the latest generation of its multipurpose helmets.
Arai’s all-new XD-5 is the latest generation of its multipurpose helmets. (Align Media/)

Arai Helmets introduced a new multipurpose helmet, the XD-5. Successor to the XD-4, the helmet features design updates for a stronger, safer, and more functional product.

The Arai XD-5 in Cosmic Red ($949.95).
The Arai XD-5 in Cosmic Red ($949.95). (Arai/)

As with every Arai helmet, the major emphasis is on safety; the “Priority to Protect.” This starts with a strong shell manufactured with layers of fiberglass and resin. The XD-5′s shell is rounder, stronger, and smoother for greater glancing-off performance than the XD-4. As part of its Peripherally Belted Complex Laminate Construction (PB-cLc 2) using an array of special materials, the forehead area is reinforced with a Super Fiber belt for strength and light weight. When wearing an Arai helmet, be assured that the one covering your head meets the same requirements as the one Maverick Viñales uses on Sundays.

The PB-cLc 2 shell is smoother, rounder, and stronger than the XD-4 for improved glancing-off performance. And the Super Fiber belt (dark strip) adds increased safety.
The PB-cLc 2 shell is smoother, rounder, and stronger than the XD-4 for improved glancing-off performance. And the Super Fiber belt (dark strip) adds increased safety. (Arai/)

“Rounder, Stronger, Smoother.” That’s the motto for Arai Helmets. The R75 shape (featured on all Arai helmets) refers to “a continuous curve radius of at least 75mm, making Arai shells round, smooth, and strong.” The idea is that a round, smooth shell allows for the greatest glancing-off performance. When the helmet comes in contact with the riding surface or an object, it will glance off and distribute energy away from the helmet and the rider’s head. All air ducts or vents are designed to break away in the event of a crash to prevent snagging and increase glancing-off performance.

The Arai XD-5 in the road configuration.
The Arai XD-5 in the road configuration. (Arai/)

Arai is constantly developing the strength and safety of its helmets, but the R75 shell shape remains relatively unchanged because the company believes in a round, smooth surface for its helmets.

Arai’s one-piece multi-density EPS liner manages impact absorption and distribution.
Arai’s one-piece multi-density EPS liner manages impact absorption and distribution. (Arai/)

Impact energy is absorbed and distributed through the helmet’s one-piece, multi-density EPS liner. The Arai XD-5 features different densities throughout the liner working together to minimize acceleration and deceleration forces to the brain.

What Makes the XD-5 New?

Arai’s XD-5 features a revised shell shape (longer) for a more universal fit. The new visor and peak are 20mm lower than the XD-4 allowing for a smoother surface near the rider’s temples to increase safety. A new visor system has been engineered for easy, toolless removal and an increased field of vision from a new Max Vision visor. The XD-5′s VAS-A visor, derived from the Corsair-X, enables riders to add the Pinlock 120XLT insert included with purchase.

Arai’s XD-5 features a VAS-A Max Vision visor enabling the addition of the included 120XLT Pinlock.
Arai’s XD-5 features a VAS-A Max Vision visor enabling the addition of the included 120XLT Pinlock. (Arai/)

The peak has been designed for greater aerodynamic efficiency to prevent drag and create a quieter helmet while traveling at speed. And because the XD-5 is a multipurpose helmet, the peak can be removed with a single screw on each side, transforming the helmet from an ADV and off-road setup to a full roadster on-road configuration. And for those wanting to wear goggles, the visor can be quickly removed without tools. So if you ride dirt bikes, streetbikes, and adventure bikes, the XD-5 is the only helmet you need. Just adapt the helmet to the style and functionality you desire.

A newly designed peak provides improved aerodynamic efficiency.
A newly designed peak provides improved aerodynamic efficiency. (Arai/)

The XD-5s redesigned interior is fully removable so riders can wash and adjust the liner. An adjustable pad at the back and temples of the crown pad allows for a customizable fit. The FCS cheek pads feature a 5mm peel-away material for further adjustment.

The XD-5’s liner is fully removable for washing and fit adjustments.
The XD-5’s liner is fully removable for washing and fit adjustments. (Arai/)

Another big emphasis in the development of the new XD-5 was ventilation. Arai’s XD-5 features a new chin vent that can flow up to 200 percent more air than its predecessor depending on the motorcycle, and has gained the 3D logo air duct like the one found on the Contour-X. An inner vent gate offers the ability to direct air toward the rider’s mouth or up toward the inside of the visor to reduce fogging. Because of the increased ventilation from the new air ducts, Arai was able to eliminate the mesh chin bar vents, which serves two purposes; a stronger chin bar and a smoother, flatter surface for the addition of a communication device.

Arai’s XD-5 utilizes a 3D logo air duct.
Arai’s XD-5 utilizes a 3D logo air duct. (Arai/)

Recognizing the demand for communication devices in all forms of motorcycling, the XD-5 also features designated speaker cubbies above the cheek pads. Riders no longer have to modify their helmets when installing a communication device. Plus a tuck-away pocket in the neck roll helps to organize and tidy up additional wire length without having to tape any slack to the inside of the helmet.

The Arai XD-5 comes with provisions for the addition of a Bluetooth communication device. During our ride, we used a Cardo Packtalk Edge.
The Arai XD-5 comes with provisions for the addition of a Bluetooth communication device. During our ride, we used a Cardo Packtalk Edge. (Align Media/)

Arai’s all-new XD-5 is available in 12 color options and ranges in sizes from XS to XXL. Pricing starts at $839.95 and goes up to $949.95 depending on colors and graphics.

Riding Impression

One of the best compliments you can say about a helmet or any gear is it goes unnoticed. That is the case when wearing the Arai XD-5. During long photo stops and water breaks on our press event ride through warm Southern California, the need to rip off the helmet for some relief was hardly felt.

Riding off-road, the XD-5’s visor can easily be removed to wear goggles.
Riding off-road, the XD-5’s visor can easily be removed to wear goggles. (Arai/)

The field of vision through the new Max Vision visor is expansive. Scanning your gaze in any direction will barely find the perimeter of the visor. Imagine watching 4K action camera footage on a large smart TV. It looks like that. One of the biggest improvements instantly noticeable from the new visor over the previous XD-4 was the lack of distortion when looking down through the lower third of the visor. Crystal-clear vision is experienced through every angle of the visor.

The Arai XD-5’s Max Vision visor provides an excellent field of vision.
The Arai XD-5’s Max Vision visor provides an excellent field of vision. (Align Media/)

When traveling at (and sometimes well above) indicated speed limits, the new peak system does not cause any buffeting or drag; leading to a more comfortable, relaxed, and less fatiguing ride. The new ventilation systems provide noticeable airflow to your mouth and head. Arais have always been comfortable and fit well for this rider’s size XS head. The XD-5 is no different. During our ride, we were provided Cardo’s Packtalk Edge communication device. Installing, removing, or adjusting the internal headphone speakers and wires was easy and intuitive. The new ear pockets eliminate the need to rip apart the helmet interior, which is never fun.

On stretches of pavement, the all-new Arai XD-5 generates little to no buffeting and drag.
On stretches of pavement, the all-new Arai XD-5 generates little to no buffeting and drag. (Align Media/)

Arai’s XD-5 exceeded our expectations as a dynamic and highly functional multipurpose motorcycle helmet. Arai may not be recognized for having the most flashy, polarizing, or trendy shapes, but it’s hard to argue with the quality and safety record of its lids for the last 70 years. That is the Arai difference.

Arai’s XD-5 is a “wheelie” high-quality helmet.
Arai’s XD-5 is a “wheelie” high-quality helmet. (Align Media/)The XD-5’s new chin shutter flows up to 200 percent more air than its predecessor.
The XD-5’s new chin shutter flows up to 200 percent more air than its predecessor. (Arai/)The Arai XD-5’s inner shutter can be adjusted to direct air toward the rider's mouth or up to the shield to prevent fogging.
The Arai XD-5’s inner shutter can be adjusted to direct air toward the rider's mouth or up to the shield to prevent fogging. (Arai/)Head down, throttle out in the new Arai XD-5.
Head down, throttle out in the new Arai XD-5. (Align Media/)Carving up twisty pavement in the XD-5’s “on-road” configuration.
Carving up twisty pavement in the XD-5’s “on-road” configuration. (Align Media/)Splish, splash, mud bath.
Splish, splash, mud bath. (Align Media/)Visor removal and installation do not require tools.
Visor removal and installation do not require tools. (Arai/)The XD-5’s rear air duct is designed to break away in a crash, improving glancing-off performance.
The XD-5’s rear air duct is designed to break away in a crash, improving glancing-off performance. (Arai/)The Arai XD-5 in Discovery Blue ($949.95).
The Arai XD-5 in Discovery Blue ($949.95). (Arai/)

Gearbox

Helmet: Arai XD-5

Jacket: Alpinestars ST-7 2L Gore-Tex

Pants: Alpinestars Revenant Gore-Tex Pro

Gloves: Alpinestars Megawatt V2

Boots: Alpinestars XT-8 Gore-Tex

Backpack: Alpinestars Techdura Tactical Pack

Source

Getting more and more tempted to get a full face with no fancy coms or anything. For lightness and certain rides.

I can’t see myself not having a flip up helmet with intercom, though.

45 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I can’t see myself not having a flip up helmet with intercom, though.

Do you have a heads up display has well in there Pedro ?  Weather ..speed ..traffic warning...

33 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Do you have a heads up display has well in there Pedro ?  Weather ..speed ..traffic warning...

No. Nothing like that, I just want to be able to pick up the phone during work hours, and talk to Sofia when we go on trips.

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

No. Nothing like that, I just want to be able to pick up the phone during work hours, and talk to Sofia when we go on trips.

I know I was just messing with you...I could see having a intercom on the indian when I carry a passenger..has long has she doesn't yap to much....nvm..the last thing I would need is a back seat driver..lol..slow down !..your going to fast !! Ex..ex...lol.

1 hour ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

I know I was just messing with you...I could see having a intercom on the indian when I carry a passenger..has long has she doesn't yap to much....nvm..the last thing I would need is a back seat driver..lol..slow down !..your going to fast !! Ex..ex...lol.

At least they will be able to see where they are going?

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

dont worry she wont be saying slow down or your going to fast on your fucking Barge

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

dont worry she wont be saying slow down or your going to fast on your fucking Barge

Hey not riding a 69 horse harley...the thing has a 122 hp on tap...it just take a little long to get up to speed ...

2 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Hey not riding a 69 horse harley...the thing has a 122 hp on tap...it just take a little long to get up to speed ...

time it gets there she would of painted her nails and had a blue rinse.

• Haha 2

On 28/05/2024 at 11:25, boboneleg said:

Love my Arai helmets .

Same here....they've saved my life....more than once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Does the tap open all the way?

1 hour ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

No the fucken things still has a block on the ecu...they haven't cracked the code yet...

So you’re bragging about a fast bike when in fact it’s neutered, held back, a pussy cat, a short man’s bike.

Old Lady No GIF by BrownSugarApp

• Haha 3