Old Painting

Saul

Got sent this today, it's a painting from the late 1980's of some of the Fowey fishermen, there are none now .   They were all mates and contemporaries of mine.   Sadly 3 of them are dead now four if you count Spot the dog.  They lead a very destructive life, part of the job and danger I suppose.    You always knew what pub they were in, you could smell them before you went in.  And that was back when smoking masked the smell of most things.  Not them 🤣

Lugger.jpeg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Saul said:

Got sent this today, it's a painting from the late 1980's of some of the Fowey fishermen, there are none now .   They were all mates and contemporaries of mine.   Sadly 3 of them are dead now four if you count Spot the dog.  They lead a very destructive life, part of the job and danger I suppose.    You always knew what pub they were in, you could smell them before you went in.  And that was back when smoking masked the smell of most things.  Not them 🤣

Lugger.jpeg

I like the guy looking at them from behind the curtain.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I like the guy looking at them from behind the curtain.

That was the artist who painted it, the image was taken from an old photo that is on the wall in the pub.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YamaHead said:

Motely's Crew.... you can just about smell that painting....

Yep two boat crews in fact.

From left to right:

Weamer, Nemo, Fluff and Mike from the Mon Rev.   Then Dave,  Doozer, Mark and Jason from the Satanic.    

Back then there were six boats working out of Fowey, now sadly none.  

A little further down from the Galleon in Yarmouth there's a small fishing boat moored. Lobster pots, crab traps. nets etc are on the key side and they stink so can imagine whet they smelt like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

A little further down from the Galleon in Yarmouth there's a small fishing boat moored. Lobster pots, crab traps. nets etc are on the key side and they stink so can imagine whet they smelt like. 

Yep they stank for sure, used to land their catch and go on the piss immediately.   Good lads all but best to stay downwind.  

• Like 2