White Sheet Hill

boboneleg

I was up early this morning and away by 7am .  Took my usual route south until I got to the first lane near Gare Hill ..............

IMG_1161.thumb.JPG.cbfef70ae10931f2f372006e96fbdd8d.JPG

IMG_1162.thumb.JPG.46d5d8893c44257f404a8455239c3946.JPG

It's that time of the year where a lot of the lanes are overgrown but I battled through it.  Next I climbed up White Sheet Hill and stopped at the top to have a quick look at the round barrow ..........

IMG_1164.thumb.JPG.dbaca7c96cb57266e1baadf2b82bd8a9.JPG

IMG_1163.thumb.JPG.9849f4a381ecfce4fb559afe55575610.JPG

and then it was straight across the B3095 and across Mere Down ...............

IMG_1165.thumb.JPG.a834d624a02c947cdca4908527af91f0.JPG

IMG_1167.thumb.JPG.6af1057a16092f3f2ec94b36e58c5602.JPG

I dropped down through East Knoyle and came across an old windmill on the escarpment.....................

IMG_1168.thumb.JPG.bd4502c645e457f402c3611a1cb2577f.JPG

IMG_1171.thumb.JPG.1318fcd6ec2eb06e8ae17ca54e66e182.JPG

The view from the windmill down over the hill....................

IMG_1172.thumb.JPG.013ba4ba00b34b1c27bb05a57b3fdbc5.JPG

More overgrown stuff was taken on , I hate it when the ruts are hidden in the long grass 🤨

IMG_1173.thumb.JPG.444c038a4600da487927c7a71fccd8f9.JPG

After riding all along the ridge of the second part of White Sheet Hill I went up the lovely climb near the Fovant badges   -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fovant_Badges

IMG_1174.thumb.JPG.1587741670bae15afc10d003a726865e.JPG

IMG_1177.thumb.JPG.cd3171e065b634a2403df1c4d0b1ac55.JPG

and then rode on past the Salisbury racecourse ...................

IMG_1179.thumb.JPG.eed6077e10fbe740b677adc85f26ae7b.JPG

I rode around the back of Salisbury and up the Woodford Valley to get to the byway that leads to Stonehenge ............

IMG_1181.thumb.JPG.82c9ad6807af54e4aff45fc1fab952a1.JPG

Zoom in to see Stonehenge in the background.................

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.80a4c21d579a4471e67036765e4d3432.JPG

I was planning on cutting across the Plain now but there was a big Army exercise going on so all routes were closed ................

IMG_1187.thumb.JPG.a0838cba702bedfce919d2a5abcf2e11.JPG

So I changed my route and rode up the holloway at Potterne and then around the back of Devizes to head for home..........

IMG_1188.thumb.JPG.9c61bc0d206ac815e18ddbaa7b105af4.JPG

It was a good day out all in all but I managed to snap the plunger that releases the lock on my prosthetic leg so I will have to get that sorted now.  Also I've come to the conclusion that I need to let the DR650 go as it's just to tall for me now, it'll be a sad day when it goes but the WR250 is so much more manageable.

• Like 6

Very cool paths that you went through.

Did you snap the thing from trying to reach too far to the ground? Why didn’t it happen before?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Very cool paths that you went through.

Did you snap the thing from trying to reach too far to the ground? Why didn’t it happen before?

No, I had an off when I couldn't climb out of a rut (10mph).  My leg was trapped under the luggage frames and it snapped the lock release button.  

When they made this leg I wasn't happy with the button as it protrudes and I knew this would happen one day 🤨

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Nice one Bob. I've just noticed the private plate 👍

It was on my T700 , I wasn't sure what to do with after I sold the bike so I stuck it on the Donkey :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

I like the BOL bit.

Yes, when I saw it for sale I had to have it and it wasn't a lot of money.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

When they made this leg I wasn't happy with the button as it protrudes and I knew this would happen one day 🤨

Had it not snapped the button, would you still consider getting rid of the bike?

• Like 1

Nice day out there Bob 👍 Since we know you're slightly on the vertically-challenged scale 😁....I can understand why it might be time to part ways with the Donkey. My brother had a '92 DR 650 back when I was still riding my XT 550 alot....& I remember how tall that beast was....he's 6'2" w/ legs up to his neck so the standover wasn't a problem....but the brick-hard seat sure was! 😵‍💫

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

Had it not snapped the button, would you still consider getting rid of the bike?

It's nothing to do with that @Pedro, earlier in the ride I was struggling quite a bit in some of the lanes, this has been a theme when riding this bike for a while now.   Even though I've lowered it the bike is too tall so if it starts to go I struggle to keep it upright.

You've probably gathered that I love these bikes but (Pete mode on) I'm not getting any younger so if I want to continue trail riding if must be on a lower , lighter bike .

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

It's nothing to do with that @Pedro, earlier in the ride I was struggling quite a bit in some of the lanes, this has been a theme when riding this bike for a while now.   Even though I've lowered it the bike is too tall so if it starts to go I struggle to keep it upright.

You've probably gathered that I love these bikes but (Pete mode on) I'm not getting any younger so if I want to continue trail riding if must be on a lower , lighter bike .

I get it. But won't you miss it a lot when going long distance to your France trips?

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I was thinking that when you sent me up that bloody lane on my 650 a few weeks ago :classic_laugh:. I like riding all the back roads on mine and would be happy not doing any dirt roads but the temptation is too great and i always end up where i shouldn't be on it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I get it. But won't you miss it a lot when going long distance to your France trips?

I did France twice on my CRF250 Rally although I don't think the WR250 is such a good travel bike , so probably yes I will.  I have thought of that though and perhaps I'll just do roads on the Ducati.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I was thinking that when you sent me up that bloody lane on my 650 a few weeks ago :classic_laugh:. I like riding all the back roads on mine and would be happy not doing any dirt roads but the temptation is too great and i always end up where i shouldn't be on it.

Exactly the same here Fred, I know it might end up in tears if I keep on doing it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I might be interested in it for a second bike as long as it is lifted to a proper ride height of course.

1 minute ago, Buckster said:

I might be interested in it for a second bike as long as it is lifted to a proper ride height of course.

Can you afford it though he wants £300 and half a left leg for it 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I can take the lowering links off  , I will be doing that anyway before I put it up for sell.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Lol, i just pissed myself 

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I can get half a left leg any time, is there a preference on colour?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I can get half a left leg any time, is there a preference on colour?

Titanium and carbon would work for me ........

Lets Go Hug GIF by World Chase Tag

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Titanium and carbon would work for me ........

Lets Go Hug GIF by World Chase Tag

You can have black, white or yellow.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Buckster said:

You can have black, white or yellow.

He likes Honda. You don’t do red?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

He likes Honda. You don’t do red?

Not available in this region, although there will be some red detailing.

• Haha 1