Advice .. thoughts

Xt keeps cutting out when slowing down at junctions etc... does not do it every time ....  bumps and starts straight back up and on starter if going to slow to  bump.

put new air filter and spark plug in it , still doing it , tick over is fine and runs spot on .... any thoughts on the cause , i have read it is a common thing on the xt but cant find any answers really.

31 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Xt keeps cutting out when slowing down at junctions etc... does not do it every time ....  bumps and starts straight back up and on starter if going to slow to  bump.

put new air filter and spark plug in it , still doing it , tick over is fine and runs spot on .... any thoughts on the cause , i have read it is a common thing on the xt but cant find any answers really.

Is it carbed or injection ?

58 minutes ago, Six30 said:

injection

On the side of the throttle body you should see a screw, you can turn this to adjust your tickover. Big singles need a slightly higher tickover than most bikes or they are prone to a cough/stall especially when coming to a stop .

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

On the side of the throttle body you should see a screw, you can turn this to adjust your tickover. Big singles need a slightly higher tickover than most bikes or they are prone to a cough/stall especially when coming to a stop .

i'll go try it , cheers bob

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

wouldn't t it cut out all the time bob if tick over was not high enough... tick over is ok when bike is ticking over 

1 minute ago, Six30 said:

wouldn't t it cut out all the time bob if tick over was not high enough... tick over is ok when bike is ticking over 

Generally if you run the tickover a bit higher than normal it was stop the stalling .

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Generally if you run the tickover a bit higher than normal it was stop the stalling .

found the screw and turned up tickover , was going to go out on bmw tomorrow but xt now see if its cured it 👍

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Six30 said:

found the screw and turned up tickover , was going to go out on bmw tomorrow but xt now see if its cured it 👍

Let us know how you get on , take the screwdriver with you incase you have to make any adjustments.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Let us know how you get on , take the screwdriver with you incase you have to make any adjustments.

....  could do it by hand ...

IMG_3530.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Six30 said:

....  could do it by hand ...

IMG_3530.jpeg

Ok, completely different set up to my WR250 where the adjuster screw is on the throttle body 

• Like 2

Isn’t there some sort of air box mod to cure this, I read it somewhere I’m sure.

• Like 2

Another possibility is that it's suckin' air somewhere.... @ 1 point I had reseal the intake boot between the carb & the cylinder head. A thin film of Permatex Ultra Black sealant cured the problem. 👍

• Like 2

If it is injected it will have a MAP sensor, remove that and clean it out, I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the issue, with it being a single if the MAP sensor is gunged up then it will likely run full lean on decelerating and shut the ignition down.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Sorted it out yet?

didn't get out on it yesterday, get out tonight see if adjusting tickover has done anything

• Like 2

On 29/06/2024 at 14:34, Six30 said:

I wouldn't go and mess around with the screews....try cleaning the throttle body first...and see if that helps...

On 29/06/2024 at 16:16, boboneleg said:

If you mess around with that screew your most than likely mess everything up...it's a factory setting...best bet is to...like buck was saying clean the map sensor and throttle body...and see if it helps...

4 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

If you mess around with that screew your most than likely mess everything up...it's a factory setting...best bet is to...like buck was saying clean the map sensor and throttle body...and see if it helps...

I disagree , I've adjusted the tickover on mine with that screw and it worked fine.   I know in USA you have drill out a lock screw in some bikes as they are factory set but it's not the same on UK bikes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I disagree , I've adjusted the tickover on mine with that screw and it worked fine.   I know in USA you have drill out a lock screw in some bikes as they are factory set but it's not the same on UK bikes.

I disagree...unless Six30 has a fancy diagnosis machines...your just basically adding a band-aid to the problem...by increasing the idle your throwing all of the sensors off..like the map ..tps...basic rule of thump those are not made to be adjusted by your backyard mechanic...a dealer has the proper tools to do so...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

I disagree...unless Six30 has a fancy diagnosis machines...your just basically adding a band-aid to the problem...by increasing the idle your throwing all of the sensors off..like the map ..tps...basic rule of thump those are not made to be adjusted by your backyard mechanic...a dealer has the proper tools to do so...

You do know it's a single cylinder and all he's doing is making it tick over faster that doesn't upset anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Bell End GIF by :::Crypto Memes:::

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Carlos Valdes Starz GIF by Gaslit

• Haha 2