Cardo Packtalk Pro Review

The Cardo Packtalk Pro is available on July 7, 2024, for $459.
The Cardo Packtalk Pro is available on July 7, 2024, for $459. (Cardo Systems/)

Cardo Systems has produced Bluetooth headset communication devices for motorcycle riders for more than 20 years. Starting with the Scala Rider in 2004, Cardo has continuously developed its systems and software to give riders a simple and effective way to communicate, receive navigation instructions, take phone calls, and listen to music while riding a motorcycle.

The Packtalk Pro is the latest, most advanced system offered by Cardo. It’s based on the same foundation as the Packtalk Edge, but offers improved functionality and premium features such as crash detection, auto on/off, second-generation DMC (Dynamic Mesh Communication), and 45mm JBL speakers

Group rides are safer, seamless, and more entertaining with a Cardo Packtalk Pro.
Group rides are safer, seamless, and more entertaining with a Cardo Packtalk Pro. (Cardo Systems/)

Crash Detection

The Packtalk Pro features crash detection (in supported countries), which utilizes IMU sensors in the device that detect applied forces in the event of a crash. If an incident is detected, the Packtalk Pro, when connected to the Cardo Connect app, will send an alert to the Cardo cloud which dispatches a prescribed message to the rider’s emergency contact with their geolocation informing the contact that there has been an accident and to alert emergency medical services.

While testing the Cardo Packtalk Pro, I crashed a minimoto in a field of grass. It was nothing more than a lowside, but after picking the bike up, I received a message asking if I would like to send a message to my emergency contact. I simply declined and continued my ride. However, if emergency medical services were needed, they were just a click or voice command away.

The Cardo Packtalk Pro features a volume dial on the side of the unit so riders can adjust the volume to their preference.
The Cardo Packtalk Pro features a volume dial on the side of the unit so riders can adjust the volume to their preference. (Cardo Systems/)

Powered by JBL

Audio is powered by a pair of 45mm JBL speakers with an advanced sound processor.

Sound quality and clarity from the 45mm JBL speakers are excellent. Sometimes, I had to turn the volume down because the audio output was so loud. Initially, when the speakers were installed, the audio wasn’t loud enough, but after adjusting their location closer to my ear, the sound became loud and clear.

Cardo’s Packtalk Pro automatically connects to the user's smartphone faster than the rider can buckle their helmet.
Cardo’s Packtalk Pro automatically connects to the user's smartphone faster than the rider can buckle their helmet. (Cardo Systems/)

Auto On/Off

Advancements of the Packtalk Pro are noticed the instant you pick up your helmet and the unit turns on. Cardo’s Packtalk Pro detects movement and signals the unit to turn on. Set your helmet down for a minute, and the system turns off. It’s that easy.

Every time I gear up to ride, the Packtalk Pro automatically turns on and connects to my phone before I have even bucked my helmet. Then I simply open my music app, select play, and I’m rocking out before I pull my gloves on.

If a rider falls out of range of the rest of the group, their Cardo will automatically rejoin the line of communication once they have caught back up.
If a rider falls out of range of the rest of the group, their Cardo will automatically rejoin the line of communication once they have caught back up. (Cardo Systems/)

Second-Gen DMC

Second-gen DMC allows the system to instantaneously connect with your smartphone, enabling riders to play music, receive directions, take phone calls, and be monitored by crash detection.

In a group, Dynamic Mesh Communication allows riders to automatically connect or rejoin the communication group without having to repair the Bluetooth signal. If a rider drops off because they fell out of range, their communication system will automatically rejoin the group once the rider is back in range.

When the road gets twisty, pause the music and enjoy the sound of motorcycling.
When the road gets twisty, pause the music and enjoy the sound of motorcycling. (Cardo Systems/)

Final Thoughts

During testing of the Cardo Packtalk Pro, I listened to music while commuting or on long stretches of straight pavement. But once the road became twisty and exciting, I could easily pause the music and enjoy the pure sound of motorcycling: The wind rushing past my helmet, the sound of the engine and exhaust, a clunk from the shifter, and the squeal of the rear tire are the sounds that make motorcycling so emotional and engaging. But once a ride becomes monotonous, turn up the sound and blast your favorite songs or podcasts through the JBL speakers.

The Cardo Packtalk Pro is a comprehensive tool that improves motorcycle rides. Simple things drivers can do in a car, such as listen to music, take phone calls, or receive directions, are just as easy on a motorcycle with a Cardo communication system. And when the constant connection to a smartphone becomes a barrier to freedom on the open road, the Cardo can easily be muted while still providing crash detection. For those interested in a Bluetooth communication device, look no further than the Cardo Packtalk Pro.

The Cardo Packtalk Pro offers 13 hours of talk time.
The Cardo Packtalk Pro offers 13 hours of talk time. (Cardo Systems/)

Source

Yes, they definitely need to talk to each other there.  The dude at the front is overexcited as he made round at 15mph while the one at the back has just come in his pants and is telling the others that he did 16mph  

uh-huh-nods.gif.9488fff974ae4874bd575f5d2521af8d.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

Yes, they definitely need to talk to each other there.  The dude at the front is overexcited as he made round at 15mph while the one at the back has just come in his pants and is telling the others that he did 16mph  

uh-huh-nods.gif.9488fff974ae4874bd575f5d2521af8d.gif

And they all have a full compliment of limbs.

• Haha 1