Getting in to biking

Hi all,

I'm 19 at the moment and I'm looking at getting in to biking and doing my A2 licence

I have no experience riding a motorcycle so, Personally, I think getting an A2 restricted bike is out the question!

The style of bike I'm looking at is a naked bike like the Triumph Speed 400, Yamaha MT-03 or Honda CB500F mainly due to insurance costs as for Kawasaki Ninja 400 and Honda CBR500R they were wanting around 2-2.5k for fully comp and about 1K for the naked bikes. Is this the right price or is it a bit high? What are some of the better insurance companies for bikers?

I think 4k there abouts get me a decent newish bike with some miles on or should I be looking at a cheaper alternative as I recognise that this bike will definitely be dropped!

For training, I've been looking around this includes CBT and I've quoted around 1-1.4k for a weeks course (Some are a bit longer than others)

In terms of gear, for a decent full face helmet looks to be about £300 ish, looking at the HJC RPHA-1, Shoei NXR2, Scorpion EXO-R1 Air Evo.

Gloves about £90-£100 looking at Alpinestars SP-5 Gloves.

Jackets I cant really find a decent one that has good reviews with out being a bit pricey. cheapest one I could find that offers decent protection was the Rev-It! Jacket Eclipse 2 at £140 but some of the Alpinestars are upwards of £300.

Trousers I don't have a clue as some people say to get protected motorcycle jeans but others say get the textile trousers but look to be around the £200 mark.

Boots I think I'm set on getting the Alpinestars Faster-3 Rideknit at £170

So, all in all I'm looking at about 7-8k in total.

Is this too much? is there certain areas I can afford to get the cheaper gear or cheaper bike perhaps?

Many thanks,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toastfrenzy3 said:

Hi all,

I'm 19 at the moment and I'm looking at getting in to biking and doing my A2 licence

I have no experience riding a motorcycle so, Personally, I think getting an A2 restricted bike is out the question!

The style of bike I'm looking at is a naked bike like the Triumph Speed 400, Yamaha MT-03 or Honda CB500F mainly due to insurance costs as for Kawasaki Ninja 400 and Honda CBR500R they were wanting around 2-2.5k for fully comp and about 1K for the naked bikes. Is this the right price or is it a bit high? What are some of the better insurance companies for bikers?

I think 4k there abouts get me a decent newish bike with some miles on or should I be looking at a cheaper alternative as I recognise that this bike will definitely be dropped!

For training, I've been looking around this includes CBT and I've quoted around 1-1.4k for a weeks course (Some are a bit longer than others)

In terms of gear, for a decent full face helmet looks to be about £300 ish, looking at the HJC RPHA-1, Shoei NXR2, Scorpion EXO-R1 Air Evo.

Gloves about £90-£100 looking at Alpinestars SP-5 Gloves.

Jackets I cant really find a decent one that has good reviews with out being a bit pricey. cheapest one I could find that offers decent protection was the Rev-It! Jacket Eclipse 2 at £140 but some of the Alpinestars are upwards of £300.

Trousers I don't have a clue as some people say to get protected motorcycle jeans but others say get the textile trousers but look to be around the £200 mark.

Boots I think I'm set on getting the Alpinestars Faster-3 Rideknit at £170

So, all in all I'm looking at about 7-8k in total.

Is this too much? is there certain areas I can afford to get the cheaper gear or cheaper bike perhaps?

Many thanks,

I think you would be hard pushed to beat a CB500F or CB500X or even a Kawasaki ER5 or 6 as a first bike.       £3k to £4k should get you something pretty nice.   As to riding gear you don't have to spend to much if you don't want to, you can get some decent quality lightly used branded stuff second hand on Ebay.  Great place to get some Gortex lined boots for silly money, including Alpinestars.  Richa isn't bad riding gear if you must have new, should get a good jacket and trousers for £300.   LS2, Caberg and HJC Helmets are pretty good value and good quality new.   You can always buy better at a later date but riding gear is a personal thing weather you go for style or just function in the first instance.  You will end up with 2 or 3 sets before to long.  In the winter I always seem to have one set drying.  

• Like 1

Hello,

it looks like you've done all your research very well.  Personally I can't help with licence stuff or anything like that as I'm about 45 years older than you.

Good luck with whatever you decide and stick around on here as it would be nice to have the perspective of a youngster on here .

• Like 2

Hi!
I took my drivers license when I was 20 and didn't ride anything for another 20 years.
I bought a 2022 CB500F as my first bike and I love it.
It's easy to ride, not too powerful and forgives the rookie mistakes.
Being young I believe you'll grow out of it quickly, as you'll want more power.
But it is a nice bike to begin with. 

Budgetwise, I've spent around 700€ on full gear (Nolan Helmet, Spidy gloves, Dainese Jacket, boots and trousers) . Could have been less if I had chosen cheaper brands.
I can't help you with the insurance as I'm not in the UK.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for your input, my local garage near me has one so I think Ill most defiantly give that a shot!

I'll have a look at the Dainese clothing, I haven't heard of them before

Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toastfrenzy3 said:

Hi,

Thanks for your input, my local garage near me has one so I think Ill most defiantly give that a shot!

I'll have a look at the Dainese clothing, I haven't heard of them before

Thanks

Worth having a look around someplace like J&S accessories for gear, there are always deals to be had.

• Like 3