Getting the old girl running again.

I've looked at it in more detail yesterday...the bike broke down last summer and hasn't run since then...needs a rear tire..chain and sproket...charged up the battery...fuel pump is ready to be replaced..I cracked open the oil drain plug to see if I could see any sigh of coolant being mixed in with the oil...it was due to have another water pump seal when I sold it...I'll be doing that this coming winter..if I'm lucky enough..I won't have to disabled the carbs to clean them....I should be receiving the pump by this coming weekend...

20240707_051449.jpg

20240707_051506.jpg

• Like 6

I went ahead and bought it without even seing it run..not something I usually do...I've crank it over and everything sounds OK.. I'm just hoping now the only reason he stopped riding it was because of the bad  gaz pump and not something else...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

The bike looks in pretty good condition @Marcel le Moose Fondler  , I can't even see a rusty spoke.  Go right through it before ride it, I'm certain it will bring a big grin to your face when you ride it again.

No..not s single spec of rust anywheres.....I'll be going over it this coming winter...like replacing fuel lines coolant lines...my priority this summer is just to do a few km just to make sure the engine is still good working condition...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

First order of business...I've removed the dB killers ...lol.

20240707_082327.jpg

Bike wont start... first job remove baffles... bet it sounds nice now ...oh hang on

Carlos Valdes Starz GIF by Gaslit

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

First order of business...I've removed the dB killers ...lol.

20240707_082327.jpg

Stop playing with it and start the bastard

• Haha 2

Have to do something about the rear brakes...bled them yesterday..the stroke is pretty well extended to the max and still I'm able to bottom it out if I force it enough...was thinking of just getting a repair kit...cover is kinda trash...think I'm just going to buy a complete unit...not to expensive..

20240708_053938.jpg

• Like 2

Do you think I'm being to confident? I went ahead and insured it...it's legal for the road ..sticker for this year..and I don't even know if the engine is sound..or will it run...lol.

20240708_175529.thumb.jpg.7d2e3da233a1d44cb488bf5380e4e53c.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

Why haven't you tried firing it up yet 

I'm waiting for the pump...lol.

Still have to dump the old gaz that's been sitting in there for almost a year and half...I want the carbs to injest fresh fuel only..

7 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Why haven't you tried firing it up yet 

Have to remember to do a video when she fires back to life....but someone will have to post for me...I'm still using a phone..and haven't figured out how to do it..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

I'm waiting for the pump...lol.

Still have to dump the old gaz that's been sitting in there for almost a year and half...I want the carbs to injest fresh fuel only..

You don't need the pump to fire it up just rig up a tank higher than the carbs and connect after the pump. The pump is only needed because the fuel towards the bottom of the tank sits lower than the carbs so you wouldn't be able to use all the fuel in the tank without it. Its the same on my old Africa Twin, if the pump fails you just bypass it and keep the tank filled up to get you out of trouble.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You don't need the pump to fire it up just rig up a tank higher than the carbs and connect after the pump. The pump is only needed because the fuel towards the bottom of the tank sits lower than the carbs so you wouldn't be able to use all the fuel in the tank without it. Its the same on my old Africa Twin, if the pump fails you just bypass it and keep the tank filled up to get you out of trouble.

I'm not the type that gerry rigs stuff...I do everything by the book...lol...I'm in no hurry...pump should be here wendsday...I'll send one of my boys to retive it...I'm just to exhausted after work...it's hot has hell at the.moment and I've wrench enough for the day..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

My luck..the thing will probably burst in flames and take half of the garage out...you know you might have something there...park the 1290 right next to it ...and accidentally dump some gaz on it..?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

I'm not the type that gerry rigs stuff...I do everything by the book...lol...I'm in no hurry...pump should be here wendsday...I'll send one of my boys to retive it...I'm just to exhausted after work...it's hot has hell at the.moment and I've wrench enough for the day..

I thought everyone had an auxiliary tank in their garage for testing things when the fuel tank is off. I have a small plastic one off my old strimmer  (weed wacker) 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

My luck..the thing will probably burst in flames and take half of the garage out...you know you might have something there...park the 1290 right next to it ...and accidentally dump some gaz on it..?

One Indian and three or four KTMs? Just burn the whole place down!

• Haha 5

I'll be fitting the new fuel pump today and see if it's still running properly ...previous owner said it was overheating just before he parked it...I'll be keeping and eye on the temp gage...I know this bike always ran hot..in slow moving traffic..the temp gage would climb fast to 3/4 in a hurry..maybe that's what alarmed him....

• Like 1