2024 Honda SCL500

2024 Honda SCL500 in Candy Orange.
2024 Honda SCL500 in Candy Orange. (Honda/)

Overview

Honda had the ideal platform for a scrambler-style motorcycle already in its lineup in the Rebel 500. A few styling and chassis changes and the SCL500 was born. A high-mount muffler, neutral and relaxed riding position, lots of suspension travel with gaiter-protected fork tubes, and 19-inch front and 17-inch rear tires provide the look of classic ‘60s scramblers.

Power comes from Honda’s 471cc liquid-cooled parallel twin, which features double-overhead cams and four valves per cylinder. It is fed by programmed fuel injection. A six-speed gearbox and assist/slipper clutch send power to the rear wheel via a chain final drive.

A 41mm fork with 5.9 inches of travel, and a pair of preload-adjustable shocks with 5.7 inches of travel make up the suspension package. Braking comes from a twin-piston front caliper biting a 310mm disc and a single-piston and 240mm disc at the rear. Both are ABS equipped.

2024 Honda SCL500 in Matte Black Metallic.
2024 Honda SCL500 in Matte Black Metallic. (Honda/)

Pricing and Variants

The 2024 Honda SCL500 is available in Matte Black Metallic, Candy Orange, or Matte Laurel Green Metallic for $6,799.

2024 Honda SCL500 in Matte Laurel Green Metallic.
2024 Honda SCL500 in Matte Laurel Green Metallic. (Honda/)

Competition

• <a href="https://www.cycleworld.com/kawasaki/eliminator/"><b>Kawasaki Eliminator, $6,649 to $6,949</b></a>
  • <a href="https://www.cycleworld.com/story/buyers-guide/2020-yamaha-xsr700/"><b>Yamaha XSR700, $8,899</b></a>
  • <a href="https://www.cycleworld.com/story/buyers-guide/2021-ducati-scrambler-icon/"><b>Ducati Scrambler Icon, $10,995</b></a>
  • <a href="https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/triumph-speed-400-and-scrambler-400-x-review/"><b>Triumph Scrambler 400 X, $5,595</b></a>
  • <a href="https://www.cycleworld.com/bikes/husqvarna-vitpilen-401-and-svartpilen-401-first-look/"><b>Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, $5,899</b></a>
  • <a href="https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/royal-enfield-scram-411-first-ride-2023/"><b>Royal Enfield Scram 401, $5,099</b></a>

News and Reviews

• <a href="https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/honda-scl500-first-ride-review/"><b>Honda SCL500 First Ride</b></a>
  • <a href="https://www.cycleworld.com/bikes/honda-scl500-dyno-test-2023/"><b>Honda SCL500 Dyno Test</b></a>

2024 Honda SCL500 Claimed Specs

MSRP: $6,799
Engine: DOHC, liquid-cooled parallel twin; 4 valves/cyl.
Displacement: 471cc
Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 66.8mm
Compression Ratio: 10.7:1
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Fuel System: PGM-FI w/ 34mm throttle bodies
Clutch: Wet, multiplate; cable operation
Frame: Steel diamond
Front Suspension: 41mm telescopic fork; 5.9 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Twin shocks, preload adjustable; 5.7 in. travel
Front Brake: 2-piston caliper, 310mm disc w/ ABS
Rear Brake: 1-piston caliper, 240mm disc w/ ABS
Wheels, Front/Rear: Cast aluminum; 19 in./17 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: 110/80-19 / 150/70-17
Rake/Trail: 27.0°/4.3 in.
Wheelbase: 58.4 in.
Ground Clearance: 6.1 in.
Seat Height: 31.1 in.
Fuel Capacity: 3.2 gal.
Wet Weight: 423 lb.

Source

7 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That bike is never going to look any good no matter how many variations they create, put that engine in a proper trail bike you twats 

Stacy London Yes GIF

9 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That bike is never going to look any good no matter how many variations they create, put that engine in a proper trail bike you twats 

Basketball Wives Agree GIF by VH1

11 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder but I like it.   Could do with some decent clocks but for local on road bimbling about I think it makes sense.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Saul said:

I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder but I like it.   Could do with some decent clocks but for local on road bimbling about I think it makes sense.  

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Saul said:

You eye exam is overdue :classic_laugh:

Eye Vision GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Saul said:

Something like this is what Honda should be building instead of reviving that grotesque pile of plastic and metal, its the tank and frame design that fucks it up for me and that is what stays the same on every variation of it.

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/article/custom-honda-crf500l-build/

• Like 4

I wouldn't swap my 2022 CB500F for that!

Same engine, heavier, smaller fuel tank, older suspension and brakes (same as in the older CB500F models it seems).

Not for me, thank you!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JustaPor said:

I wouldn't swap my 2022 CB500F for that!

Same engine, heavier, smaller fuel tank, older suspension and brakes (same as in the older CB500F models it seems).

Not for me, thank you!

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You eye exam is overdue :classic_laugh:

Eye Vision GIF

That is one of the most hideous bikes I’ve seen for a long time. It may be efficient, it may be considered cool by some people but it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

As Edmund Blackadder said “I'd rather spend an evening on top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava”

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Skippy said:

That is one of the most hideous bikes I’ve seen for a long time. It may be efficient, it may be considered cool by some people but it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

As Edmund Blackadder said “I'd rather spend an evening on top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava”

Saddest thing is i'm the type that would probably end up owning one in the future and defending it's reputation :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Saddest thing is i'm the type that would probable end up owning one in the future and defending it reputation :classic_laugh:

Could be worse, you could end up with a Vespa ................

Oh hang on a minute ........  🤔

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Could be worse, you could end up with a Vespa ................

Oh hang on a minute ........  🤔

i have to confess i quite like your Vespa does this mean i'm on that slippery ladder :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

i have to confess i quite like your Vespa does this mean i'm on that slippery ladder :classic_laugh:

This is what they mean by bi curious.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

It's way more cooler than that piece of junk Honda have made 

Shiba Inu Reaction GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

If it’s confession time I’ve been looking at maxi scooters like the Yamaha Tmax……..can’t afford one of those but plenty of Far Eastern options such as the Kymco 500 xciting…….daft name but pretty decent by all accounts.

I wouldn’t dream of one in the UK but they make a lot of sense down here as a runaround and saves using the car as much.

Just to be clear……….its in addition to a ‘proper’ bike. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Skippy said:

If it’s confession time I’ve been looking at maxi scooters like the Yamaha Tmax……..can’t afford one of those but plenty of Far Eastern options such as the Kymco 500 xciting…….daft name but pretty decent by all accounts.

I wouldn’t dream of one in the UK but they make a lot of sense down here as a runaround and saves using the car as much.

Just to be clear……….its in addition to a ‘proper’ bike. 🤣

And the fact Pete isn't around to rip the piss out of you :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

One would never have even considered that Pete’s passing would cause a surge in the demand of scooters.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

One would never have even considered that Pete’s passing would cause a surge in the demand of scooters.

They are all coming out now.

• Haha 1