CBF600 Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

Saul

Well I got my CBF back in June and it had a manual cam chain tensioner fitted.  I wasn't worried as I heard it running before I bought and it sounded pretty sweet, no rattles that I could hear.  Anyway I have been catching up with different things over the last 2000 miles and I though it was time to adjust the Cam chain and set a datum of it being done.   And yes I have have given some thought to getting a proper Honda replacement Auto tensioner, as the originals have a reputation for failing and there is a upgraded part available from Honda for £60.  

In the mean time I thought I could hear a very faint cam chain rattle when the bike was cold.  I watched a few Youtube vids on adjusting the manual tensioner and it was all pretty straight forward.    So I did just that.  Basically the consensus said that you screw the tensioner bolt in finger tight then back it off a quarter turn then tighten the lock nut.  Easy peasy.    Set about doing the deed and to my surprise the tensioner needed 6 full turns in before i could set it.    It looks to me like the previous owner fitted it but never adjusted it.   😳

Now at this point I think I have dodged a bullet by not trashing the motor, I have done 2k miles at all speeds even a prolonged 40 mile run at 80-100 mph.   Not real sign of cam chain noise and pretty healthy power to be fair.  Also good mpg.  Not sign of distress but then again the bike was new to me I thought all was good.  

Anyway post adjustment the bike shows noticeable improvement.   Sounds much sweeter than it did, revs up quicker and is noticeably less rough at high revs.   Also the bike feels much more responsive in the higher rev range.   Obviously it's a matter of small improvements overall but still noticeable.   Feels like a newer fresher bike.  I just thank my lucky stars I didn't find out the hard way.  Testament to the overall quality of these Honda fours.  

As an aside I reckon I have used up about half the available adjustment in the manual adjuster now what that indicates in terms of the life of the chain I don't know but I am not going to lose any sleep over it while the bike is running so well.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Saul said:

Well I got my CBF back in June and it had a manual cam chain tensioner fitted.  I wasn't worried as I heard it running before I bought and it sounded pretty sweet, no rattles that I could hear.  Anyway I have been catching up with different things over the last 2000 miles and I though it was time to adjust the Cam chain and set a datum of it being done.   And yes I have have given some thought to getting a proper Honda replacement Auto tensioner, as the originals have a reputation for failing and there is a upgraded part available from Honda for £60.  

In the mean time I thought I could hear a very faint cam chain rattle when the bike was cold.  I watched a few Youtube vids on adjusting the manual tensioner and it was all pretty straight forward.    So I did just that.  Basically the consensus said that you screw the tensioner bolt in finger tight then back it off a quarter turn then tighten the lock nut.  Easy peasy.    Set about doing the deed and to my surprise the tensioner needed 6 full turns in before i could set it.    It looks to me like the previous owner fitted it but never adjusted it.   😳

Now at this point I think I have dodged a bullet by not trashing the motor, I have done 2k miles at all speeds even a prolonged 40 mile run at 80-100 mph.   Not real sign of cam chain noise and pretty healthy power to be fair.  Also good mpg.  Not sign of distress but then again the bike was new to me I thought all was good.  

Anyway post adjustment the bike shows noticeable improvement.   Sounds much sweeter than it did, revs up quicker and is noticeably less rough at high revs.   Also the bike feels much more responsive in the higher rev range.   Obviously it's a matter of small improvements overall but still noticeable.   Feels like a newer fresher bike.  I just thank my lucky stars I didn't find out the hard way.  Testament to the overall quality of these Honda fours.  

As an aside I reckon I have used up about half the available adjustment in the manual adjuster now what that indicates in terms of the life of the chain I don't know but I am not going to lose any sleep over it while the bike is running so well.  

I wouldn't worry about it Saul the bike hasn't done massive miles and to explain how robust the chains are, on one of my learner bikes the cam chain was so slack it wore through the cam chain tunnel on the cylinder casting and was exposed to all the crap off the road. I changed the cam chain and fixed the hole with instant gasket and carried on using the bike :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4