poorly busa

so having stopped using the car and hopefully in the process of returning it im now on the busa full time but where its been stood for intermittent amounts of time idle and low rpm it runs rough but at WOT it runs very well, its had a good 6 or 7 tanks worth of fuel through it since iv started using it full time yet it runs no better.

when cold it idles reasonably ok at around 1300-1500rpm when hot it hunts/misses between 1600-1800rpm and anywhere below 4k its very stuttery and missy but anything over 4k to the red line it runs sweet as could be, it has a full yoshi system and power commander along with a logic quick shifter, and occassionally it doesnt like starting but thats due to cheapo levers playing silly buggers with the clutch switch, not checked it but pretty sure the battery is good as its been on optimate alot.

i know it could do with a service but just wondering if anyone in the know could point me anywhere else to be checking as possible causes.

i know at idle it is prob running very rich as the exhaust smells pretty strong of fuel but as with everything nowadays its all bloody electronic and im not great with electronics things.

• Like 1

Well it's fuel or electrics.  Personally I don't like power commanders , they usually just bung more fuel in to fool you that it's increased the power .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, busabeast said:

so having stopped using the car and hopefully in the process of returning it im now on the busa full time but where its been stood for intermittent amounts of time idle and low rpm it runs rough but at WOT it runs very well, its had a good 6 or 7 tanks worth of fuel through it since iv started using it full time yet it runs no better.

when cold it idles reasonably ok at around 1300-1500rpm when hot it hunts/misses between 1600-1800rpm and anywhere below 4k its very stuttery and missy but anything over 4k to the red line it runs sweet as could be, it has a full yoshi system and power commander along with a logic quick shifter, and occassionally it doesnt like starting but thats due to cheapo levers playing silly buggers with the clutch switch, not checked it but pretty sure the battery is good as its been on optimate alot.

i know it could do with a service but just wondering if anyone in the know could point me anywhere else to be checking as possible causes.

i know at idle it is prob running very rich as the exhaust smells pretty strong of fuel but as with everything nowadays its all bloody electronic and im not great with electronics things.

Anyway you can tone down the tune ...to a leaner mixture and see if it helps....?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Well it's fuel or electrics.  Personally I don't like power commanders , they usually just bung more fuel in to fool you that it's increased the power .

by the dyno results from last year it appears to have been quite well tuned as the power and torque curves we very linear with abit of a jump at 4k so id guess the pc has been set up but i did get a hydra clean done on it which apparently would clean the insides of the engine so wether that has done something to the plugs or what not i dont know

19 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Anyway you can tone down the tune ...to a leaner mixture and see if it helps....?

i could if i had a computer with the relevant software on it i guess but i dont sadly

14 minutes ago, Six30 said:

why you in the process of returning the car ? is it the Audi ?

yeah its the audi, i got the finance company involved 

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Have you  tried something that might clean out the injectors like Wynns or fuelcure ?

i havent tried anything like that just yet, i have been thinking bout it so will get some of it tomorrow

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Wasn't the stock tune saved in the power commander?

there are no buttons on the power commander to change map settings its a plug in unit needing a laptop and software to change settings

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, busabeast said:

there are no buttons on the power commander to change map settings its a plug in unit needing a laptop and software to change settings

I have no idea how your running the bike...but to me 4k is low revs for such and engine...have you tried keeping the revs around 6 k and see if the engine breaths better ?

21 minutes ago, busabeast said:

yeah its the audi, i got the finance company involved 

thought where you bought it sorted it ?

To me Busa sounds like your lugging the engine and running it in a rev range where the bike doesn't like to be...my ktm 1290 v twin would not like reving below 4 k....the indian sweet spot is 3 k....and that's and enormous v twin..

13 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

To me Busa sounds like your lugging the engine and running it in a rev range where the bike doesn't like to be...my ktm 1290 v twin would not like reving below 4 k....the indian sweet spot is 3 k....and that's and enormous v twin..

A straight 4 like that will go down to almost tickover in top gear and pull smoothly away with no issues at least my CB1000 did their not like the twin cylinder engines

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

A straight 4 like that will go down to almost tickover in top gear and pull smoothly away with no issues at least my CB1000 did their not like the twin cylinder engines

Never ran a 4 ...do you think the dyno power commander tune is just to rich of a mixture and might have been tuned for max power at higher revs ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Never ran a 4 ...do you think the dyno power commander tune is just to rich of a mixture and might have been tuned for max power at higher revs ?

I've never had any experience with them so can't really answer that but since there was nothing wrong with the bike before it was parked up i would be looking at the air filter make sure nothing has moved in there and checking spark plugs but if it runs ok at higher revs the plugs should be ok. I don't want to worry him but i had a problem with the CDI on my old VFR years ago it would tick over ok but would be spluttering until i got over 6k and then it was fine fault was intermittent though so wasn't always there and it changed to running ok up to 6k and then spluttering after that sometimes. 

• Like 1

The power commander can be unplugged. There'll be 4 plugs, once disconnected you'll see the plugs will go back together as the PC only joins into the Oxy sensor and  injectors if I remember right. If there's no difference you can plug it back in, the map will still be on there. If you get the tank up to change the plugs you can get a good look around link pipes, plugs and joints. Been hearing of fake NGK plugs being sold on eBay, don't know how true that is.
Buck and Freds suggestions are a low cost tries so worth a go but it sounds like a Vac leak to me, or possible map sensor.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

it doesnt mind riding around in top at near tickover and pulls cleanly right up to red line when its running right. i will go get a fuel system cleaner and bung it in the tank and take it for a blast and see if it improves things then ill give it a service if it still isnt right.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Six30 said:

thought where you bought it sorted it ?

yea they "sorted" it alright, they deleted the adblu and then i started getting other faults with it so contacted the finance company and told them as the car is theirs they can deal with it which they got an inspection done on the car so hopefully they will say its not fit for purpose and reliable as would be expected of a 10k car and hand it back to the stealers i got it from

• Like 1

Have you tested compression to make sure all 4 cylinders are working well? Might be something to do to start crossing things off the list.

Perhaps the sd card from the track day fell out your pocket and wedged it self under the ht lead …

Mr Bean Idea GIF by Working Title

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Six30 said:

Perhaps the sd card from the track day fell out your pocket and wedged it self under the ht lead …

Mr Bean Idea GIF by Working Title

Leonardo Dicaprio Lol GIF

Top Rank Fight GIF by Top Rank Boxing

• Haha 2