Dark

Saul

My commute this time of year sees me riding into work in the dark.  Don't mind really as both my bikes have decent usable lights.  But add into that wind rain and fog and things are not so much fun.  Riding in tonight had all 3 and was down to 50 mph on the A30 as I just could not see.  I must say the CBF is very stable in cross winds, pretty planted given the strength of the gusts, not sure the Hornet would be so.   Anyway I was thinking what the fuck am I doing this for, love biking but conditions do have an impact.  Felt like the car would have been the better choice tonight.  I am sure my morning run home will make up for tonight's discomfort.  

Anyway to the question do many of you habitually ride at night or avoid it?   

• Like 2

I used to ride anytime, anywhere, & in any weather condition....TBH- I still miss that @ times. But I think I'm along the same lines as Fred....when the conditions are right, riding at night can be quite pleasurable.

• Like 4

You have no choice in Scotland, very short hours of daylight in winter so riding in the dark is inevitable.

• Like 5

I commute to work most days that I work on a bike.  It's pretty rural where I work and on my first day riding home from work I found out how shit the headlamp on the DR650 is.  It was replaced by a unit from USA and now I can actually see where I'm going.

• Like 4

i only have the bike for the foreseeable and so have no option other than to endure the changing of the seasons, i must admit though the headlight on the busa is worse than a glow worm in a jam jar and the high beam is even worse as it doesnt illuminate anything resembling a patch of road and the blue light on the dash is way too bright and just dazzles me when its on so i just leave it off and ride to what i can see clearly

• Like 3

1 minute ago, busabeast said:

i only have the bike for the foreseeable and so have no option other than to endure the changing of the seasons, i must admit though the headlight on the busa is worse than a glow worm in a jam jar and the high beam is even worse as it doesnt illuminate anything resembling a patch of road and the blue light on the dash is way too bright and just dazzles me when its on so i just leave it off and ride to what i can see clearly

Can you fit LED bulbs?    Made a real noticeable difference on my CBF.  

• Like 3

In most areas, I don't care about riding at night. But in my home area, there's just too many animals out in the dark to safely ride the curves and hills in the county. Don't wanna hit a moose or elk on a bike as that'd hurt quite a bit.

Hit a moose with my truck once and it really fucked the truck up - would have been fatal to me on a bike.

• Like 4

I don't mind riding in the dark. It's the cold and strong wind gusts that bother me.

As the days are already shorter, when I get off to work around 6 am it's still dark, as you can see in the video below.
If it's cold or windy I rather take the car. For me, riding is supposed to be fun not a pain.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Earache said:

In most areas, I don't care about riding at night. But in my home area, there's just too many animals out in the dark to safely ride the curves and hills in the county. Don't wanna hit a moose or elk on a bike as that'd hurt quite a bit.

Hit a moose with my truck once and it really fucked the truck up - would have been fatal to me on a bike.

I came from a TDM to the S10 and the 2 headlights were a revelation, one of the reasons for regretting selling. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saul said:

Can you fit LED bulbs?    Made a real noticeable difference on my CBF.  

it has h7 at the mo, though i think the main beam is an LED which is proper shite, its led in the dash and its blinding

• Like 1

Never! ridden this scoot in the dark (how sad is that 😔) ...there again I hardly ride it at all 😂 ...so I ain't got a clue if the headlight is good, or bad, I just know it works.

• Haha 5

On 09/09/2024 at 16:15, Earache said:

You have to be careful of haggis here, especially during mating season.

• Haha 4

We have Deer around here, when I was working I use to see one or more of them wandering down the road and on the grass verges most mornings....

• Like 3

On 09/09/2024 at 19:08, busabeast said:

it has h7 at the mo, though i think the main beam is an LED which is proper shite, its led in the dash and its blinding

When i changed the dash lights to LED on the old Africa Twin the side stand and oil pressure light came on every time i was out in the rain there was enough of a connection across the switches when wet to make them light up swapped them back to stock after that

• Like 2

its electric ill leave it alone.... dont know any magic and if the smoke gets out the wire im lost.....

i can change a bulb but thats as far as i know and will probably ever know

• Like 2