Mountain to Desert Bike Marshal trip

Earache

Headed out to Montrose, Colorado and then on to Telluride to Moto Marshal another bicycle race. Had to wait at home for the temps to rise a bit before setting out. 42F / 5c before setting out...

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG

• Like 4

Made it to Monrose just after dark and proceeded to the local Mexican joint for dinner and beers. It was as bad as it looks. Should cheese have wrinkles in it?

IMG_5821.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Got to bed around 11:00 PM and had to get up at 4:00 AM to cover the last 75 miles to Telluride for the start of the race. Got there at sun up and walking around the empty streets waiting on the racers to show up ....

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5823.JPG

IMG_5824.JPG

IMG_5825.JPG

• Like 6

75 miles into the ride and we're in the high desert. All was going well when this guy's front wheel got tangled into the back wheel of the bike ahead of him.

Apparently Lycra doesn't do shit for avoiding road rash .

I radio'd for an ambulance and my bud Chris set the bikes up as a traffic barrier ...

IMG_5833.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG

IMG_5835.JPG

• Like 7

After the race , we had 60 miles to ride to the night's hotel in Grand Junction. The heavens opened up on us with a cold shower. But made it to the rooms - with a bunch of Porsche guys parked out our window....

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5853.JPG

IMG_5854.JPG

• Like 4

Hit the local English / Irish Pub for dinner. Beers were good (Smithwick's) but the shepard's pie was lacking. Who the Hell puts tortilla chips on top of shepard's pie???

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Up at the crack of 9:00 AM the next day, (waiting on warmth again),  and off to the coffee shop for all of the others while I watch the bikes in he parking lot. Then onto a speed alp of the Colorado National Monument ... 

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5861.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

• Like 5

After the Monument, we slogged 250 miles on the highway to get home. Tired and cold, it's good to be home.

Next weekend is the year's last Moto Mrashal gig - the Denver Century Ride.

• Like 3

Nice scenery but this encouraging cyclists business is a bit borderline. Whoever made that shepherds pie should be executed for crimes against humanity.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Great photos as usual Eric 👍  Do you ever marshal professional cycle races ?

Yes - have done the professional Ironman race in Boulder for the past 3 years. On those, I have a professional referee on the bike with me as pillion. He does all of the yelling at people and I just ride the bike to his instructions.

edit: here are some of the Super Tenere's they used at Ironman - built for TV camera guys to move around on.

I didn't take a lot of pics at Ironman as I didn't really have the time - too busy being told what to do <gg>.

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Earache said:

The ride south was nice with crisp air and the changing colors on the trees  - it'll be winter in a week.....

IMG_5806.JPG

I bet you stuck to that speed limit along there didn't you 😜

• Haha 1