Returning Rider Looking for advice from the wise and good!

Jimbo 64

Good day all,

I'm a soon to be returning biker looking for some advice on buying a cheap commuter bike.

I was an sports bike rider in my wild days, eg when I had hair, my last one being an L reg EXUP (the ones with the upside down forks) which I sold in 1998 due to a military posting to the outer Hebrides (great place to visit on a bike, awful to keep a bike unless you have a garage). Since then my only foray into powered two wheelers was a MZ Baghira, about 10 years ago which was fun but a bit uncomfortable for what I needed at the time (which unfortunately was a SUV).

I'm now 60 yrs old and after a little career break to look after my wife during her fight with cancer, I've now taken a job for a couple of days a week about 9 miles away.

I'm looking for a cheap (£2-3K), (to buy, run, insure, fill with fuel etc)  reliable bike that I could put some sort of luggage on (not touring) is comfortable (back and knee operations mean sports, supermoto and tall adventure style bikes are out of the question), yet could do the odd 45 mile trip maintaining 50 mph.

I think I'm looking a cruiser type bikes and although I'd love a Truimph Speedmaster or RE Super Meteor don't think the budget would stretch to it at the moment (need to prove to the Mrs, I need a bike not a second family car!)

Bikes I have in mind are:- 

Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Benelli 502C

Benelli Leoncino

Hyosung GV250 or 650 Aqulia (Even a ST700 if one appears)

As much as Dragstars, Vulcans, Shadows etc look great and I would love to have one in the future, the cost vs age is quite prohibitive.

If any body has any advice on these models or alternative ideas please, I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Kind Regards,

Jim 

Hello Jim welcome to the forum.   

I quite like the Enfield 350's nice motor if a little bit slow.  Good on Fuel for sure.    

I know very little about Benellis first had, our local dealer is a idiot so never looked to closely, I would worry about build quality being that they are chinese but I don't really know that much about them.  

I do have a mate that has a Hyosung Aqulia and he is always singing its praises.  He is well into his 80's and manages it fine.  

Personally I would recommend a Honda CB500F, cracking commuter and no more thirsty than an Enfield.  I loved mine.  But anything Japanese will be the safest bet . 

My Daughter has a Honda CB125F and that is a cracking little bike, only £3K new,160 ish mpg  and a hoot to ride, I really like it.   First rate commuter  as long as you don't do motorways/dual carriageways regularly.  They will cruise all day at 50 to 60 mph but don't expect a lot more.  Chap on YouTube  called Richard Shepard rode his CB125F to Paris from Solihull and back again without a hitch. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome @Jimbo 64.

I can’t help with your bike choice, except to say I sat on a Triumph Speedmaster and they’re very comfy sat still :classic_laugh:

Is there any reasons why you would prefer a cruiser apart from the style and aesthetics? 

If not, I would look into a UJM style Honda, like the CBF600 @Saulhas, or a V Strom 650, for a cheaper used bike that you can really put your trust on. They are heavier than what you’re looking at, though.

Stick around, and I ask for forgiveness in advance about the inane level of drivel you’ll find once you start to look into this forum :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

Welcome Jimbo.
Good advice from Saul.

Not got much confidence in the chinesium stuff yet but it's def improving.
Have you considered a scooter? Great for commuting with plenty of space under the seat and great weather protection but little street cred.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saul said:

My Daughter has a Honda CB125F and that is a cracking little bike, only £3K new,160 ish mpg  and a hoot to ride, I really like it.   First rate commuter  as long as you don't do motorways/dual carriageways regularly. 

I have never ridden one, but a pizza delivery guy has just taken 2 minutes out of a google maps 8 minute trip on one, so tonight I like that bike a lot!

That guy’s bike had no stickers, 4 different colours, rusty everything, but sounded just sweet when he started it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the advice, I haven't ridden the CB500 for a while (a return to biking day just before the COVID thingy), and it went ok, although a lot of the ones for sale on the usual suspects seem a bit pricey for the age and mileage and there's always the suspicion they could be ex courier/deliveroo/rider school. Same goes for the GS500 (although I've always liked the look of the F model) and the E5N. Will keep my eye out for a decent CB though. As for scooters and 125cc, I'm not sure they're for me and at 6ft 1 and a fair bit north of the NHS ideal BMI, think a sub 250cc bike might struggle up some of the hills round here.

I had a test ride on the Benelli leoncino that my local bike shop had as a part ex and must agree with the YouTube mob (Motors for the masses, M. Flyer etc) it's a nice retro'ish twin, comfortable and seems quite well put together, also seems to be a lot of bike with virtually no mileage for the money, also with all the add ones (luggage racks, screens, heated this and that) available on AliExpress etc it seems a no brainer, however it's Chinese and although they are improving still not sure how it would last a couple of winters lugging Fatboy around our potholed over salted excuse for roads that we have. 

So, had another look round and he's got a Kawasaki ER6F 2008 with 18k on it, within my price range, not had a test ride  only sat on it and it seems comfortable, good protection and a quite upright seating position, does anyone body have any thoughts on them Vs a bandit or hornet etc?

Now as for the Kwak W650, yes please 😀😀🍻🍻, lovely looking bike, not sure on running costs etc but who cares if you get to look and ride that every day. Oh decisions decisions!!!, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jimbo 64 said:

Thanks for the advice, I haven't ridden the CB500 for a while (a return to biking day just before the COVID thingy), and it went ok, although a lot of the ones for sale on the usual suspects seem a bit pricey for the age and mileage and there's always the suspicion they could be ex courier/deliveroo/rider school. Same goes for the GS500 (although I've always liked the look of the F model) and the E5N. Will keep my eye out for a decent CB though. As for scooters and 125cc, I'm not sure they're for me and at 6ft 1 and a fair bit north of the NHS ideal BMI, think a sub 250cc bike might struggle up some of the hills round here.

I had a test ride on the Benelli leoncino that my local bike shop had as a part ex and must agree with the YouTube mob (Motors for the masses, M. Flyer etc) it's a nice retro'ish twin, comfortable and seems quite well put together, also seems to be a lot of bike with virtually no mileage for the money, also with all the add ones (luggage racks, screens, heated this and that) available on AliExpress etc it seems a no brainer, however it's Chinese and although they are improving still not sure how it would last a couple of winters lugging Fatboy around our potholed over salted excuse for roads that we have. 

So, had another look round and he's got a Kawasaki ER6F 2008 with 18k on it, within my price range, not had a test ride  only sat on it and it seems comfortable, good protection and a quite upright seating position, does anyone body have any thoughts on them Vs a bandit or hornet etc?

Now as for the Kwak W650, yes please 😀😀🍻🍻, lovely looking bike, not sure on running costs etc but who cares if you get to look and ride that every day. Oh decisions decisions!!!, 

I had to look up what is 6 foot 1, at that height and well built I think you'll find all those a little cramped after a while, and maybe overloaded.

If you've tried a CB500 last and liked it, have a sit on something like a Suzuki VStrom something of that genre and see how you like it, maybe even a 600 thumper. On the road they feel a little less cramped. 

Having said that, if you like cruisers why not an older Shadow 750 or something like that?

• Like 2

It’s difficult to say with the Chinese bikes these days, some are better than others. Someone at work has one of the Benelli’s and it looks like it is decent quality, it will be interesting to see what it looks like after winter. Saying that, older jap bikes don’t fair well in winter either.

What you need is a good Harley Davidson, a real motorcycle.

• Like 1

I do like a Hornet, mind you I do like a Honda 🤣   ER6F, good bike, maybe a bit smallish but you won't know until you try.   Bandit old but good, can be a bit thirsty and likes to rust but you can sus that if you have a look at the bike.   The Suzuki v 650's are cracking bikes, some say a bit agricultural but I didn't think so.    My workmate rides a 05 plate V-Strom 650 with 56k on it still sweet as a nut if  a little scruffy.     An Enfield 650 is a nice friendly bike, they look and sound lovely.  

Three months ago I bought a Honda 07 plate  CBF600 with 31k miles to commute on for £1100.  It's been a peach and it came with hot grips, panniers and topbox.    Yes I have spent a few quid on it, tyres, service items and such but I think I got a real bargain.  There are plenty of them out there if you look, nice bullet proof revvie 4 pot with a de tuned Hornet/CBR motor.   It will still pick up its skirts and go.  50 to 60 mpg.   I have done approaching 3k miles on it so far without a hitch.  If you look for one go for the 07 or later model or later with fuel injection.  Mine is a carb as it is an 06 model registered in 07.     

Left field option could be a Honda Deauville, rock solid 650/700  shafty  with luggage, will do everything.   People will take the piss though.  🤣

I looked at a Benelli TRK 700 back along which was an absolute bargain with all the Boxes and extras for £6500 new, but I worried about how it would look after 6 months out in the weather.    I know you can get the Benelli TRK500 in your price range, good bike apparently, depends how you feel about chinese stuff.   

I did commute 14 miles a day for 4 years on a Chinese CG125 clone (Sukida SK125-2) without much issue although I spent a lot on ACF 50 and the like and kept it pretty clean.   I think it may have dissolved if I didn't  🤣

Oh 125s I take your point completely I can't see me owning one again but in the CB125F's defence I have done 100's of miles two up with my daughter on hers.  I reckon our combined weight is 24 stone (I'm a chunk she isn't) and it coped with that fine.  Not fast of course but competent.  

17 minutes ago, Buckster said:

It’s difficult to say with the Chinese bikes these days, some are better than others. Someone at work has one of the Benelli’s and it looks like it is decent quality, it will be interesting to see what it looks like after winter. Saying that, older jap bikes don’t fair well in winter either.

What you need is a good Harley Davidson, a real motorcycle.

I don't think Jim wants to spend Harley Money. 😉

Isn't it a pleasure when we all behave and actually talk about bikes 🤣🤣🤣    

Almost like a real bike forum. 😉

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Saul said:

Isn't it a pleasure when we all behave and actually talk about bikes 🤣🤣🤣    

Almost like a real bike forum. 😉

You've gone and spoiled it :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

Just now, Pedro said:

You've gone and spoiled it :classic_laugh:

Nah it is never going to last, you know that 🤣

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Nice bike for tall people, a Yamaha XT660Z 

I would imagine it would similar to my old MZ Baghira is it a rotax thumper?

13 minutes ago, Jimbo 64 said:

I would imagine it would similar to my old MZ Baghira is it a rotax thumper?

I would assume it’s a Yamaha engine. But it’s not a supermoto, I’ve seen people travelling on them and apparently being quite comfortable doing it. 

1 hour ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Or start wearing arseless chaps...

Gay Men GIF

Here we go I knew it couldn’t last.   😢

• Like 1