Ducati Monster 750

Saul

I have been offered a 2000 ish Ducati 750 Monster as a project.  It's running but needs the carbs sorting and is generally rough cosmetically.    Has had new belts in the last 6 months. Guy only wants £300.  Any of you in the know think of a reason or red flag that I shouldn't jump on this.    Don't know very much about Ducatis, never owned one or had much interest in doing so before.  Cosmetic stuff I can sort.   Be nice to have a project for the dark months.     Going to talk to the guy again tomorrow and see if I can have a good look.    @boboneleg @Sir Fallsalot

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saul said:

I have been offered a 2000 ish Ducati 750 Monster as a project.  It's running but needs the carbs sorting and is generally rough cosmetically.    Has had new belts in the last 6 months. Guy only wants £300.  Any of you in the know think of a reason or red flag that I shouldn't jump on this.    Don't know very much about Ducatis, never owned one or had much interest in doing so before.  Cosmetic stuff I can sort.   Be nice to have a project for the dark months.     Going to talk to the guy again tomorrow and see if I can have a good look.    @boboneleg @Sir Fallsalot

Bobs your man i know nothing of them 

• Thanks 1

A couple of mates have had them years back, I don't remember them having any probs but the servicing was bloody expensive.
I'm sure you could break it and get much more than your money back.

Sounds like a winner to me.

• Like 1

It's a 24 year old Ducati so unless it's been very well looked after it'll be rough.  What service history does it have and when was the last time it was worked on ?

Belts having been done is good but carbs needing work could be difficult as parts are hard to get.  What's the condition of the fuel tank ? 

If it's been stood for a while then the fuel tank will need looking at as they suffer from water ingress so it may be rusty inside.  The shock mounts will be probably be seized and brake calipers will need attention.

Is it £300 to you because you're a mate or is it £300 because it's a dog and you'll have to spend £1500 to get it roadworthy ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine it’s a dog.    Belonged to an ex teacher who lived across the road from me.  He ran a Paso into the ground years ago and then bought this monster.    I haven’t seen it for years but I’m in no doubt it rough in every way,  knowing who owned it originally.  Sounds like it maybe a pass then.   I don’t need an ornament I can’t afford to fix.  I might wait for an older CBR600 or a tatty  Blade as at least I have more of a clue about them and can get parts.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

@Clive is your man regarding an opinion on a project bike that just needs carbs done.

Followed by how to flounce afterwards.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, boboneleg said:

It's a 24 year old Ducati so unless it's been very well looked after it'll be rough.  What service history does it have and when was the last time it was worked on ?

Belts having been done is good but carbs needing work could be difficult as parts are hard to get.  What's the condition of the fuel tank ? 

If it's been stood for a while then the fuel tank will need looking at as they suffer from water ingress so it may be rusty inside.  The shock mounts will be probably be seized and brake calipers will need attention.

Is it £300 to you because you're a mate or is it £300 because it's a dog and you'll have to spend £1500 to get it roadworthy ?

Just had a message from another mate on FB about the monster, apparently he and the seller put a borescope down the bores last year to diagnose low compression.  Two big scores in the Nikasil liner on the front pot.    Definitely a no from me then.    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saul said:

Just had a message from another mate on FB about the monster, apparently he and the seller put a borescope down the bores last year to diagnose low compression.  Two big scores in the Nikasil liner on the front pot.    Definitely a no from me then.    

Not worth repairing and Monster parts don't fetch big money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buckster said:

Followed by how to flounce afterwards.

he's not flounced... his mrs sat on him , he is wedged down the side of the settee

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Six30 said:

he's not flounced... his mrs sat on him , he is wedged down the side of the settee

But at least he has found the remote control. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Buckster said:

But at least he has found the remote control. 

And their cat they thought runaway 2 years ago

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Want a money pit....buy yourself a boat...that bike is definitely a boat..

Yep and if you want to feed a fire with pound notes buy a sailing boat.   We did and learnt a lesson  from it. 😥  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Not worth repairing and Monster parts don't fetch big money.

Sort of explains where all the old Monsters went then.  I remember them being pretty common in the early 2000's can't remember the last time I saw one.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saul said:

Yep and if you want to feed a fire with pound notes buy a sailing boat.   We did and learnt a lesson  from it. 😥  

There's a saying: a boat is a hole in the water you throw money in

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Saul said:

Oh dear, parts only then

• Like 1